Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP or something else?

Mountain Sloth

So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16X44 in MOA. This will be going on my 30-06 that I'm planning on hunting with and hopefully getting a load worked up for elk out to 5-600 yards assuming everything goes to plan. the only two things I don't like about this scope are 1 it doesn't have a zero stop, which isn't a huge deal for me, and 2 the reticle isn't illuminated, also not a huge deal. Budget is a factor and this will be my first scope that I can run a turret on. Is there anything close to the same budget that you would recommend? I have had good luck with Vortex on my other rifle and binos as well as other rifles I have first hand experience with.

That is unfortunately about twice my budget on this gun. I plan on getting a 30 cal mag of some flavor in the next year or two and that could be the answer to my scope for that.

Take a look at the Talos BTR 4-14x44 - APLR2 FFP IR MIL
FEATURES
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • Aircraft Grade Aluminum: Aircraft Grade Aluminum provide extra strength and durability to handle the toughest terrain and offers lifetime of use.
  • Heat Treated One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Nitrogen Purged: Nitrogen purging dramatically reduces the moisture inside the tube and helps maintaining fogproof and waterproof.

Could look at the Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50. Has a great illuminated reticle. It is SFP with no zero stop however. Only $329. I bought one of these last month. Haven't mounted it yet though.

If you could go another $100 or so. Could get a Gen 1 Vortex PST 4-16x50 Illuminated with FFP AND zerostop.
these are actually good scopes and kinda hard to find these days. pretty good value for the dollar.

Last edited:
Something Else! I bought a DB tactical and didn't even keep it week it is EXTREMELY poor optically. I hear you on the budget concern. The Gen2 PST (if you can find used you may be able to save a good bit) would be a good choice and about as low as I think I'd personally go on the scale. Just my .02 optics are very subjective.

I would look at sfp options...you will be happier.

viper 4-16x44 makes me happy.

If you're hunting and shooting 4-500 yards I'd avoid turrets and get a first focal with a usable reticle. Less parts to move/bump, especially without a zero stop and a good Christmas tree style reticle in ffp is what I would want.

Burris veracity is a good option. I have one on a lightweight Shilen/carbonsix 243 Win that I hunt everything from deer down to pdogs with. Doesn't have the best light gathering compared to a few higher end scopes I have but good for the features I would want for the scenario you've outlined.

I did a quick ebay search and there's two 3-15 veracity listed in auction you could possibly get for less than the new vortex. Both are right around $150 as I'm posting this.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts