Nightforce tracking problem or something else

Tall

I have a nightforce nxs 5.5-22x50. I can zero my gun at 200 yards. When I shoot 600 yards I shoot way right, when I shoot 1000 yards I am over 8 feet right with a slight wind 3 to 5 mile per hour wind gusts right to left. When mounting the scope I leveled the scope by putting a level on the picatiny rail and clamping down the rifle, then mounted the scope with a level and verified it using a plumb line about 40 yards. I have level mounted on the scope to make sure I hold the gun level. I can see the gun being off by as much as 2 feet if the scope was canted slightly but not 8 feet. Does anybody have any ideas what could be going on here.

I spun the turret all the way up and it didn't seem to move off of the plumb line. I have not done a box test while shooting the gun. I am getting frustrated with my gun.

I am shooting a weatherby vanguard 7mm Remington mag. Pillar bedding. free floated barrel. Leupold QRW rings, picatinny rail. Nightforce NXS 5.5-20X50 Npr-2 retical.

The only thing I can think is to try it on a different gun.

Several things how accurate are your wind readings? Did you calculate for spin drift? Not knowing your load, bc and velocity at 1000 yds you could easily figure all of the previously mentioned factors were contributing to this.

Several things how accurate are your wind readings? Did you calculate for spin drift? Not knowing your load, bc and velocity at 1000 yds you could easily figure all of the previously mentioned factors were contributing to this.

Mild wind, wind gust up to 5 mile per hour wind right to left. Nothing that would move a bullet 8 feet. A bullet does not drift up wind anyway.

7mm rem mag on weatherby Vangaurd action
168 grain Berger VLD
2950 FPS muzzel velocity

I am willing to try anything at this point, I just dont see how it could be 8 feet off at 1,000

I would shoot a group at 100 yards and then dial up 20 minutes and shoot another group and see how much horizontal difference there is. You will need a tall piece of paper but this should let you know if there is a tracking problem.

Good Luck

I would shoot a group at 100 yards and then dial up 20 minutes and shoot another group and see how much horizontal difference there is. You will need a tall piece of paper but this should let you know if there is a tracking problem.

Good Luck
this is on my plan to do. Do you think it makes allot of difference if I do this at 50 yards or 100 yards or 200 yards

200 yards would be better if you have the room...I suppose you could do 50 yards, just not sure if a 20 moa dial will give you the info you desire. Either way, I would dial the same amount you dial at 1000 just to get an accurate estimate.
Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.