Vets and 1st Responders

Reminds me of the old saying, 2200 special forces soldiers served in Vietnam.... I've met at least 10,000 of them.

First responder thing is weird, lot of it went on the last two years. Wife hates it, as it was a chosen career path for her. Not exactly landing on Omaha Beach for king and country... everybody gets a paycheck it's not a noble higher calling. Guess if everyone is a hero nobody is a hero, if everyone gets a discount... raise prices to cover it and nobody gets a discount.

Feel bad for retail guys trying to do the right thing in today's society.

Not too far from the norm...Wildland guys with a couple weeks of training are making more than the contract helicopter pilots that spent $70k on training.

The days of the "poor firefighter" are long gone. If anyone can afford the extra 10% for some bullets, it's them.

I know a newly married couple looking to move here... one is a firefighter in the City, one is a school teacher...they are approved for $750k to $1 million dollar homes. The firefighter is making north of $250k/yr and yes that is with overtime.

I'm glad Steve offers a discount, it shows his true character. But honestly, if they can't afford the extra 10% then they should pick up a new hobby.

I know a lot of firefighters from around the country and yes that is far from the norm. Maybe not there but elsewhere in the country it is. Even larger cities. Must be a CA thing.

I know where he lives and firefighters in that area probably average about $200k/yr, drive brand new Powerjokes with 22's and live in $500k+ houses...all for working 2-3 days a week. Not too bad if you ask me.
And you don't know what your talking about if you do sign me back up out of retirement I'm still in pretty good shape . The post you make is what I call fake news

Most of you know that we offer a 10% discount for military and 1st responders. We do this on the honor system. 33% of our orders take this discount. About 7% of the population are vets. Trying to figure out if we have customers taking advantage of this. We have looked into programs that verify, but they cost thousands of dollars. No possible way to recoup the cost. We want these groups to get the discount and despise the stolen valor. Would like to hear everyone's opinion.
Steve, I have over 35 years of combined military and public safety time, and I want to say thanks for throwing those folks a bone. I've never asked for a discount, but when offered, I've accepted it on occasion. It's a generous way of you to say thanks, and it's appreciated. Maybe I need to start working up Hammer loads!

And you don't know what your talking about if you do sign me back up out of retirement I'm still in pretty good shape . The post you make is what I call fake news

Here's some "Captains" for ya...

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/search/?q=Captain

Public service pays well...very well most of the time. Benefits alone are unmatched in private industry.

You can call it fake news all you want, I really don't care what you believe. ✌️

Steve: For the record, I haven't bought any of your products (yet). Retired USAF and 20+ years as a Retired Activities Office volunteer for the (yes) USN.
I see no problem with you requesting a copy of a DD214 or a VA card. I have provided same to CCW Safe and Expert Voice. A Military Retiree ID card is slightly different. It can be viewed but should not copied except for medical purposes. Not sure what a first responder documentation would be.
At any rate, thanks for making the discount possible and may your business prosper.
Ed P
LtCol, USAF Retired

Steve, I have over 35 years of combined military and public safety time, and I want to say thanks for throwing those folks a bone. I've never asked for a discount, but when offered, I've accepted it on occasion. It's a generous way of you to say thanks, and it's appreciated. Maybe I need to start working up Hammer loads!
In the beginning we struggled to find a way to do it. It was my idea to just give the discount and put a message on the checkout page that anyone taking it without credentials is a turd. During all the riots and COVID we decided to add 1st responders. I know it is not a big thing, it is a principle that matters to us. It is the best way we can think of to give thanks.

That said we don't want to increase our expenses to offer the gesture.

Thanks to you all, I think I have an idea to go to our IT with. I'm hoping it is not expensive!

In the beginning we struggled to find a way to do it. It was my idea to just give the discount and put a message on the checkout page that anyone taking it without credentials is a turd. During all the riots and COVID we decided to add 1st responders. I know it is not a big thing, it is a principle that matters to us. It is the best way we can think of to give thanks.

That said we don't want to increase our expenses to offer the gesture.

Thanks to you all, I think I have an idea to go to our IT with. I'm hoping it is not expensive!
Some vendors have the vet/first responder submit to the verification sites, which is what is likely the very expensive services. Others just ask that a photocopy of the agency ID card emailed in, or a copy of the DD214. i assume after the vendor receives the copy of the ID, a notation is made on the account of the person submitting, and then they are eligible for the discount on future orders.

Don't want to further derail the convo, but I believe he's referencing CA, and he's not fabricating. Their income information is publicly available and you'd be astounded at the salaries they're pulling in. Rookie firefighters easily clear $100K, in 2017 the local county fire chief pulled in close to $400K when we had some big burns. There's state beach lifeguards making $200-300K. Heck, my BIL is a law enforcement deputy making north of $230K and he primarily works from home. Riddle me that.

That said, in no way do I mean any disrespect to the first responder community, my great grandfather was the fire chief back home, his father was a police officer, and I've got several friends that are LEO or FD. I also understand what it's like to lay my life on the line, as I am a veteran and I appreciate the discount (oh and I have used Hammer's discount before, thanks Steve and Brian!)

I think the solution is simple in theory: you'll need people to create accounts and choose to have them submit either a DD214, ID cards (most likely for active duty and first responders), or a letter from the VA. I'd like to hope that if someone has the mental capacity to make an online purchase, they'll find a way to submit one of those requirements to you for verification for their account.

Most of you know that we offer a 10% discount for military and 1st responders. We do this on the honor system. 33% of our orders take this discount. About 7% of the population are vets. Trying to figure out if we have customers taking advantage of this. We have looked into programs that verify, but they cost thousands of dollars. No possible way to recoup the cost. We want these groups to get the discount and despise the stolen valor. Would like to hear everyone's opinion.
Very good effort to reward responders and vets esp.
There is a federal law called "Stolen Valor" dealing with impersonators
The road to hell is paved with good intentions....
All you gotta do for the discount is ask to see a copy of their DD214 form....

Here's some "Captains" for ya...

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/search/?q=Captain

Public service pays well...very well most of the time. Benefits alone are unmatched in private industry.

You can call it fake news all you want, I really don't care what you believe. ✌️
I'll start off by saying I am not a firefighter, but a Sheriff's Deputy with 8 years on the job. Since it is public knowledge, I don't mind saying that for reference, my annual salary is around $58k a year counting my overtime. As far as benefits, in my specific area, while my benefits are certainly good, all the local mines and production plants are as good or better (I have friends and family that work or have worked at them) and all of them pay significantly better. My county is somewhat above average overall compensation in the state (Wyoming). The vast majority of other LE people I know are in a similar, blue collar life style. And that is fine, we do not do this job because of the pay. But Wyoming actually pays pretty well. When my family was contemplating moving to Arkansas, I was applying for a county Deputy job in the area we were looking at. They paid 34k/year, and the insurance plan plus paying the other medical expenses I would have needed for my family would have been about half my check. Even with my wife being a registered nurse, we were not able to make it work due to that. I'm not saying this looking for pity or anything like that, I make a fair and honest living, but I simply wanted to put it in an accurate perspective.

Your specific area in California is not representative of the entire USA. The average firefighter wage for California is pretty high, however the national average is in the upper 40k/year range. That is only counting the ones that actually get paid, not the thousands of small municipal and rural fire departments around the country that are ran on a volunteer basis. Your referencing one of the higher paying departments in the country and applying it to the entire firefighter community, and it is simply incorrect.

However I can see part of your point. Another $6-8 per 50 bullets is not a huge deal, and none of the LE's or vets I know expect a discount. I have used his LE discount a couple times, and if the use, or suspected over-use, is concerning enough that it warrants this thread, I completely understand from a business perspective. I personally just won't use it anymore. Maybe that will help make up for someone that illegitimately uses it. Steve has worked hard to make his company what it is, and deserves what he asks for his product.

Sorry for the novel. To attempt to contribute to your thread in a meaningful manner Steve, you could possibly do it by email verification. Just have them email you or one of your people in I.T. with a current ID, and if they are approved, just send them a coupon code to use at checkout. You could even have certain codes, say the ones for first responders, expire at the same time annually, and have to re-verify with a still valid form of first responder ID. The military vets could get a code that doesn't expire. The initial transition would be time consuming, but I think eventually it would get pretty manageable.

Last edited:

Recent Posts