Vets and 1st Responders

Steve, I think this is the answer to your problem. I wished I would have copied who wrote it but sadly I did not.
"If 1/3 of your orders are using that code you're getting ripped off. Probably easier to offer it on certain days like vets day and first responder appreciation day. You'll still have losers that take advantage of it but only a couple of days of the year."

Make the discount available on Veteran's Day that way it'd be easy for everyone to remember what day it comes on, maybe a one-day special in late November for Christmas gifts, plus that'd give you an idea of what extra bullets you'd need on hand for the discount.

5 dollars here, 5 dollars there, and there, and over there soon become thousands of dollars out of your wallet for future equipment, components, and employees to keep us in bullets.

Steve, I think your last idea is the best. You are accomplishing your goal of charitable giving, without encumbering your IT staff. And 33% does sound high.
I would say 10-15% would be quite generous.

I did the math on the discounts. Last year the 1st responder / vet discount was 2.6% of annual revenue. This year so far it is 2.9%. All of us here at Hammer agree that going forward our best bet is to donate 3% of annual sales to charity/s. Now we need to figure out who. We don't want to give someone's slush fund. I would like to hear suggestions, particularly from Veterans.

Steve, I think your last idea is the best. You are accomplishing your goal of charitable giving, without encumbering your IT staff. And 33% does sound high.
I would say 10-15% would be quite generous.
I want to clarify. The 33% of number of sales not revenue. So for every 100 orders we get 33 of them take the vet/1st responder coupon.

There's plenty of options for veteran/first responders charities. I currently donate to paw's for Purple Hearts and adopt a platoon. In the past I have given to VFW, disabled American veterans, tunnels to towers and wounded warrior project. WWP was having administrative issues but I believe have been rectified. Charity navigator is your friend for possible charities.
Yes I am a veteran.

We are like a girl trying to get dressed for a date! We are now leaning toward continuing with the discount but adding in a credential verification in the order notes. This will require more effort from the customer but keep the discount going to those we want offer it to. This will have to be done on each order as it will not be stored in our system.

We are like a girl trying to get dressed for a date! We are now leaning toward continuing with the discount but adding in a credential verification in the order notes. This will require more effort from the customer but keep the discount going to those we want offer it to. This will have to be done on each order as it will not be stored in our system.
Thanks again for your support for veterans and first responders. I don't think receiving a discount is a make or break factor in my purchasing decision-making process, but it's a very nice gesture by yourself and other companies. I need to get off the pot and order some of your bullets!

Sounds like a win-win for all involved.
What I like is I can pick up my phone and call you anytime I want and unless you're tied up at the moment or on a hunt you will pick up the phone and try to answer any question I may have, even after all these years of being in business. Not many owners will do that, thank you.