VETS of LRH

well thank you. I always well send out a "welcome home" note when I run accross a RVN vet. It's not a slite towards other vets, but for the guys that were not welcomed home 45 years ago.

I long for the day when we done ever have to say "welcome home" to any vet again!
gary

I was a Viet Nam era veteran('68-'72) although I never left the states. I served in the Air Force for four years,three of them at Nellis AFB. I was an avionics repairman commonly referred to as a "black box weenie".

n Chu Lai whenever we got back in town. Remember walking thru the bone yards looking at all those shot up planes with aircraft carriers names on them often wondering where they had the ships parked out there.
gary

We were safe and snug out in the gulf of tonkin. Moved from 75 miles out to 125 miles out when that got missiles that would go 75 miles. Wimps. . .

When the North Koreans shot down an USAF Cargo plane we steamed to the sea of Japan. What a sight that was. Horizon to horizon war ships. 3 carrier groups plus. The New Jersey turned around and joined in.

My thought is that an aircraft carrier is way too large to hide.

Tried my best to get on the gun boats. Rickover said he had too much invested in me.:rolleyes:

well thank you. I always well send out a "welcome home" note when I run accross a RVN vet. It's not a slite towards other vets, but for the guys that were not welcomed home 45 years ago.

I long for the day when we done ever have to say "welcome home" to any vet again!
gary

Amen!

Gus

Thanks to all the Vets, the Vet families and the Vet supporters!

US Army 65-71, 11Bravo 66-67 1/7 Cav, 1st Air Cav Div.......

Over 40 years ago for most Americans, but only 40 seconds for the Vets. Sad, but there are times I actually miss it!!

Best Regards......Eagle Six

We were safe and snug out in the gulf of tonkin. Moved from 75 miles out to 125 miles out when that got missiles that would go 75 miles. Wimps. . .

When the North Koreans shot down an USAF Cargo plane we steamed to the sea of Japan. What a sight that was. Horizon to horizon war ships. 3 carrier groups plus. The New Jersey turned around and joined in.

My thought is that an aircraft carrier is way too large to hide.

Tried my best to get on the gun boats. Rickover said he had too much invested in me.:rolleyes:

We had the New Jersey shoot for us a little west of Tam Key two or three times. Code named "Big Boy" and after the first HE round I new why! The last two thirds of my vacation over in that garden spot was out in the Lao border area. We usually went back to DaNang or Chu Lai to take a warm shower and gear up for a CA the next morning at first light. I told my youngest kid I weighed the ghastly sum of 147lb. Carried the sixty, three belts, two barrels, and the cleaning stuff for a total of about 110lb.
no room for fat boys up there
gary

Thanks to all the Vets, the Vet families and the Vet supporters!

US Army 65-71, 11Bravo 66-67 1/7 Cav, 1st Air Cav Div.......

Over 40 years ago for most Americans, but only 40 seconds for the Vets. Sad, but there are times I actually miss it!!

Greetings from the Que Son valley! Kinda cool tonight as it's in the low 120's. Picking us up in the morning to scout out another nameless LZ fifteen klicks west (hey that's gotta be in Laos!!). Got stuck with chopped ham & eggs again, but that red dust really seasons it well

"welcome home brother"

may you showers and clothes always be clean, and most of all have good food to eat. It's all gravey now brother, and you earned every bit of it.
gary

guys tried to get me to take a reunion tour of that place a couple years back. I simply said "I ain't never left the place." I do get kinda homesick when I vist the Smokie Mountains, but after a couple nights waking up in a cold sweat I know I can't ever go back.

Most of us never completely get off the ride on the dragon's tail, and some of us climb up on it's back for the long ride. We just set back and watch the riders thinking we got off just in time, but we never really did.
gary

guys tried to get me to take a reunion tour of that place a couple years back. I simply said "I ain't never left the place." I do get kinda homesick when I vist the Smokie Mountains, but after a couple nights waking up in a cold sweat I know I can't ever go back.

Most of us never completely get off the ride on the dragon's tail, and some of us climb up on it's back for the long ride. We just set back and watch the riders thinking we got off just in time, but we never really did.
gary

......isn't that the truth!

Many times since I thought I got over it. I was wrong, I'll never get over it. I have managed to live with it, in a civilized way (.....well, mostly civilized).

......isn't that the truth!

Many times since I thought I got over it. I was wrong, I'll never get over it. I have managed to live with it, in a civilized way (.....well, mostly civilized).

for 43 years now, I've done a wake for a buddy of mine. The last couple years I and my girl friend did it over at the VFW post. Partied till the crack of dawn, and cried a lot. People walked up and asked what the hot can of Budwiser was for sitting on the table in the middle of the dance floor, and I told them that was the only kinda beer Tommy and I got so why change. Last Febuary we did number 43 for him, and must have had three dozen folks join in with their own buddies added to the list. I expect to see fifty people next year, and Tom would have wanted it that way.

I hate the sound of choppers(military), and to this day it makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Smoke from charcoal makes me think a little too much. I really don't like to goto the range with a guy next to me shooting an AR15. Nothing against him and the gun, but the sounds make me think too much. I have owned a couple of them for other reasons, but rarely shoot them. I did take an old Colt I had out to the range with my sons because they wanted to shoot one. I sat back and let them burn up a couple hundred rounds not hitting a damned thing. I walked up and took the gun and shot the brass heads off shot gun rounds at 100 yards in a very rapid fire; one right after another. After eight or ten hits I handed it back to them and said "it's never left me"

Had an Uncle that was a Marine Raider in WWII. He was drafted like most were in those days, and was a pretty tough SOB. I never understood him like I thought I should. Now I do, and nobody else in the family does or did. He'd have done well in RVN, as his head was screwed on right. Yet the thought has came up more than once as to wether I could have survived in his game plan.
gary

gary

+1

God bless you all!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.