VAnguard Question

johnnyracer

Is a Vanguard action desireable for a custom rebarrel and buildup. What would be the pros and cons ? Whats the difference in the high end and low end Weatherby actions?

Opinions please. Thanks Johnny

From what I understand is that they are decent actions at the price point that they are sold at.

The biggest con is that they use a metric thread pitch to attach the barrel. Not all gunsmiths are setup to cut metric threads.

It is the same action as the Howa 1500 and S&W 1500. Howa makes them all.

The other good thing is that they all use the same scop mounts as a Rem 700.

Thanks grinder.
I did a search for howa and got a little more reading on this subject. I think its probably something I want to do . I,ll just have to figure out what I want it chambered in now . Seems like most all the smiths on here have a lengthy wait these days. Who are the reputable guys that like working on this style action?

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Thanks Johnny

I've heard that most of the good smiths are very busy right now.

I'd try Nesikachad. He's back from the sandbox and is plumbing rifles now. From his helpful posts and pictures of his previous work, he's more than capable.

I'm looking to build up a rifle from a howa 1500 varminter supreme. I'd like to do a .260 stainless fluted. There's a guy in florida who sells custom bottom metal that accepts standard 10 round accuracy int'l mag's.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a varminter supreme stainless pepper laminate in .243, 22-250 or .308?

308 nate is my smith and he told me the more he works with them the more he likes them. As far as the smiths being busy, there is a reason for it. When spending $2000-4000 on a custom build you want somebody who knows what they are doing at least I do. Alot are single family businesses who take great pride in the end result. A year is not uncommon and well worth the wait in my opinion.

Brent

I fitted one of Pete Lincolns mag system to one of our stocks and a 22-250 howa 1500 stainless. They are very easy to fit, tiny bit of dremel or file work, max 5min. Aluminium system is extremely light and of very good quality.
Try contact Pete, [email protected]

DSCN0398.jpg

Only the corners need a bit of fitting
DSCN0400.jpg

DSCN0412.jpg

edi

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.