Vanguard action?

As far as quality stocks go I think it's that or Macmillan, manners, or a chassis. At least that I know of. Bell and Carlson actually has one or two I think.

I forget about Boyd's. I'm gonna try one some time. My la vanguard is in an mdt chassis and I like it very much. There is a mag length issue but other than that I would recommend it.

I ordered a B&C for my build. They only have a couple for LA, but alot more are available for SA howas.

Might have to try the VG2. That's first time I've seen them for the vanguards.

I am in the process of rebuilding my 257 weatherby mag based on a vanguard action. The aftermarket support isn't as strong, but parts are available. Several companies are now doing prefit barrels for vanguard's using a barrel nut like a savage. You can also do a traditional barrel if you like. Your Smith will just need to be able to cut the metric thread the howa requires.

Be direct, build it.

In my opinion, if you buy a factory Weatherby Vanguard Accumark with SS fluted barrel for about $800 that's the best deal under the sun. I have one in 257 Mag, best gun and deal ever.

Back a year or two ago I bought a Vanguard in 6.5 CRD. It came with the black plastic stock. I replaced it with a lovely Smith and Wesson stock I bought from Numrich. The bolt is very smooth and the stock trigger on my action is as close to glass breaking as I have ever felt. The accuracy is of the action is very good as well.

As far as quality stocks go I think it's that or Macmillan, manners, or a chassis. At least that I know of. Bell and Carlson actually has one or two I think.

Rebuilding a Vanguard 30-06 myself now with proof barrel and carbon stock. Worked great before to take deer for 20yrs but wanted to spruce it up and rebarrel so I can attach a can. Just fyi I reached out to Manners and they are not inletting for the Howa/Vanguard 1500 anymore. I believe the Stocky's VG2 are AG Composites. I really don't like the color options they have so reached out to AG Composites and never heard back.
May just get someone to custom inlet a flattop Manners.

Last edited:
Not a thing wrong with the Howa/Vangaurd actions. The metric threads are difficult but not impossible. They come standard with most of the options people add to 700's and don't need trueing usually. I've got a short action that I rebarreled myself. I cut the chamber and threaded it and if a self taught machinist can do it, any competent gunsmith can do it. Best bang for the buck for as I'm concerned.

Been wanting to build a 7 saum for a bit now and have a vanguard 300 wm in the safe that I haven't shot in years and probably never will. Is it worth stealing the action from it for a build or no? Isn't it essentially a Howa 1500 action? I'd like to but not sure it's worth the time

About 5 years ago I started to get back into shooting and bought a used Vangaurd in .308 win for a good price. The factory stock had been gnawed on by a porcupine to have it free floated and there was MarineTex up the side of the action. It shot okay, but I thought it should be better. I put the barreled action into a Bell&Carlson sporter stock with an aluminum bedding block and suddenly everything I shot out of that gun was sub 1/2 MOA.

The action is smooth, and after about 1500 rounds it is smoother yet. The trigger is really nice for a factory hunting rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to rebarrel. I'm sure with a quality barrel it will perform just fine.
Good luck,
Ross

Edited to add: and don't forget, that Howa action is based off an old Sako action....so it's not just meant to be a cheap junk gun....they'll shoot.

Have 2 Vanguards. First is in 204 and it is a Sub Minute Angle Varmint model. Has a heavier barrel and nicer synthetic stock. The second is a newer model in 2506 with cheaper synthetic stock, both outshoot my 700s including the 5r, MLR and VTR. That Varmint model is really nice but both are butter smooth and can shoot.

Been wanting to build a 7 saum for a bit now and have a vanguard 300 wm in the safe that I haven't shot in years and probably never will. Is it worth stealing the action from it for a build or no? Isn't it essentially a Howa 1500 action? I'd like to but not sure it's worth the time
I have a Howa 1500 in 30-06 and one in .338 Win Mag and I couldn't be more pleased with both of them. My particular rifles shoot 1/2" at 100 yards all day long. I'd say definitely go for it. Don't think you'll be sorry at all!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.