Using an iPhone to document reloading equipment settings

LRNut

I have reloading rooms in both of AZ and CO; for the most part, I have identical equipment in both rooms but I have found it is difficult to document/remember various die settings, case trimmer settings, etc. For example, today I was loading for a 300 RUM that I had been loading in CO but brought back to AZ. My seating die is set up for a Sendero 300 RUM that I leave in AZ but today I needed to seat bullets for a custom RUM. In the past, I have always adjusted the die by trial and error to find the COAL (measured to the ogive) for that load. When finished, I move the die back to the rifle and load I most often use it for. I have similar issues with the case trimmer I use in CO - what is the setting for 28N, 300 RUM, Lapua, etc? Powder measure settings, even to trickle after throwing, are another issue. I don't want to spend time adjusting the measure every time I want to throw 88 grains of 8133.

With two loading rooms and records at each location, it gets confusing. So I have taken pictures of settings of various dies, case trimmers, powder measures, etc and used the caption feature to associate that picture to the rifle and the load (can include bullet and powder charge as well). Since the photos are backed up, I will always have them. And since my phone is with me no matter where I go, I always have the load data.

I use a USB memory stick and built Excel spread sheets for each rifle to document this. Very handy since you can also email it and save it if you have PCs at both locations. I can PM it to you but would be PDF and you can't modify to fit your needs exactly. PM me your email and I can send in Excel. Might go to "junk" mail since it's Excel.

Find a cloud system that works for you. As long as you have email access anywhere in the planet with any system that has email.

I use a USB memory stick and built Excel spread sheets for each rifle to document this. Very handy since you can also email it and save it if you have PCs at both locations. I can PM it to you but would be PDF and you can't modify to fit your needs exactly. PM me your email and I can send in Excel. Might go to "junk" mail since it's Excel.
Excel doesn't work very well when it comes to documentimg settings of micrometer devices like seating dies, powder measure settings, case trimmer settings, etc. I have long taken pictures but with too many items it is impossible to remember unless you use the caption feature.

Attachments

• B5311254-78C8-4A0A-B6B0-C33E9F69BFF7.jpeg
    B5311254-78C8-4A0A-B6B0-C33E9F69BFF7.jpeg
    936.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 0C580A3F-4EB1-4810-A8E9-554E23598F8D.png
    0C580A3F-4EB1-4810-A8E9-554E23598F8D.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 130
I use the notes section in my Iphone. Everything from round count to pictures of targets and all details in between.......works for me.

Not sure what you mean. You can set decimal point to your desire in Excel. Sending you a PM
Describe for me the setting above on the powder measure - why put that in Excel when a photo is much better?

Attachments

• 569EE019-CFD8-42A3-9A68-E737FBD3EE08.png
    569EE019-CFD8-42A3-9A68-E737FBD3EE08.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 98
If that's the only picture, you can save that picture on an Excel spread sheet. You'll need to crop/size it to fit w/ other info on the spread sheet for that cartridge that you need or want.

Rhett:

No offense, but I founded a software company; prior to that, I wrote all kinds of code in Excel (we still have an addin) and am aware you can imbed pictures. You can even dump data from a database (which is superior to Excel for documenting load data). But my phone is a lot more convenient- all my load is already documented in both loading rooms- I just wanted a faster and more repeatable way to dial settings into tools that require them. I have quite a few pictures on my phone and wouldn't dream of embedding them in an Excel spreadsheet.

I thought I would share my solution to the problem in case others found it useful.

I just use a reloading checklist I have in Word and write in what the info. The pages go into a binder. And my point: whatever works for you.

I was in the same boat from 2004 through 2007 when I was managing capital projects in Chandler, AZ. The company flew me back and forth to TX on weekends or my wife to AZ whenever I decide to stay put for the weekend.

I bought a house in Higley, set up one of the rooms for my reloading room, just like at our house in TX. The Higley room was not as well equipped, but have a 650 like the one in TX for short line ammo. For the long line seating I have similar set up, arbor press (store bought in AZ, home made in TX) for the 308 and 223 Wilson seating dies at both places. To accommodate different bullets I have multiple tops at both places labeled for bullets used for both cartridges.

Using multiple tops for the Wilson seaters made life simpler.

Did not do any brass processing, sent my fired brass to a commercial processing. They were done to my spec.

Recent Posts