Reloading equipment list to begin reloading

BoomFlop

Hello all,

I am looking at starting to reload, and have been doing a bunch of research and have put together the list below. I can get RCBS at a great deal, so unless something is much better I would prefer to use RCBS as much as possible. I know I will need to buy multiple reloading manuals, bullets, powders and primers. What are your thoughts? What don't I need and what am I missing to get started?

Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit (RCBS # 9354)
Rock Chucker Supreme Press
M500 Mechanical Scale
Uniflow Powder Measure
Hand Priming Tool
Universal Case Load Block
.17-.60 Debur Tool
Hex Key Set
Case Lube Kit
Powder Funnel
Nosler #7 Reloading Manual
RCBS Stand (RCBS # 9092)
RCBS Powder Trickler 2 (RCBS # 09089)
RCBS Flash Hole Deburring Tool 22 Caliber (RCBS # 88145)
RCBS Flash Hole Deburring Tool 284 Caliber (RCBS #88147)
RCBS Primer Pocket Brush Combo (RCBS # 9575)
RCBS Shell Holder #10 (RCBS # 9210)
RCBS Shell Holder #3 (RCBS # 9203)
RCBS 2 Die Set 223 (RCBS # 11101)
RCBS 2 Die Set 7mm-08 (RCBS # 13901)
Lee Case Length Gauge and Shellholder (Lee # 90114)
Lee Case Length Gauge and Shellholder (Lee # 90167)
Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud (Lee # 90110)

Thanks for any information!

Steve

I don't have a mechanical scale, I only have the hornady electronic trickle machine that weighs each charge it trickles into. I like it.
I use one shot to lube cases. I used the box my press came in, cut the top and front off of it, then I lay my brass in it and spray evenly, wait one minute then start resizing.
I recommend getting some 'one shot case lube'.
I have the rcbs primer pocket brush tool, the little wired actually bend and fall out over time, I recommend buying the Sinclair primer pocket levelling tool that goes in an electric drill chuck. Level/clean ur primer pockets all at once.
Good luck

i might consider a progressive if the 223 reloading of big batches of volume pistol batches

some will say progressives are not good for beginners , progressives are way faster with any pistol or 223 round hands down , but they suck for your 7mm08

I'm just where you are and have a similar list. Several guys have told me I should
suck it up and buy a Forster Co-Ax press and be done with it?
What do Y'all think?
I know nothing about a Co-Ax press but I do know it will not do anything a Rock chucker won't do. I used a Rock chucker for years until I upgraded to a Dillon 550. You can single load, or semi progressive load, and you can't do that with a Co-Ax.

I'm just where you are and have a similar list. Several guys have told me I should
suck it up and buy a Forster Co-Ax press and be done with it?
What do Y'all think?

Start with the press that is close to ideal for your most important calibers. Later you will add a press or two for other calibers. A long-stroke press like the Rock Chucker is bad for pistols, but will work if that's all you have. But you need the long-stroke and leverage for larger rifle calibers. I have a Dillon 450, several Lee presses, and have had an RCBS. My next press would be a Redding turret, but I have considered the Co-Ax and CH. Check out eBay for used presses. There is no perfect one press.

Get a nice American made Forster co-ax press and some lock rings. Last you forever and your children too. No shell holders to buy and two second die change. Powder measures are nice unless you have to trickle charge to top off. Electronic measure is pretty darn good. I use the RCBS (have two) and they are great with ball and short stick powders, a bit fussy on large grain stick powders, better with the McDonalds straw fix. I have tried almost every press out there and I will never sell my Forster or my Big Max. That's for single stage presses only, turret press---Redding.

If you decide on a turret, I have a NIB, Redding t7 with three extra turrets (total of 4) and the turret tree that I will sell. I need to generate some funds to buy a combo press and other br equipment.

I'm happy with my RCBS. As others said, definitely get a dial caliper. I prefer a digital scale and the RCBS bench primer, too. Good luck, stay safe and have fun!

I want single stage..My friend who's helping me is really OCD! He weighs and sorts brass
weighs and sorts bullets. OH! brass by weight and brand!
He says his one at a time is the only way to make good ones?
You need to handle and look at every piece? He won't let you just tear into it..

Last edited:
the list looks ok but id recommend a progressive, you can use it single stage if you want. i use my hornady lnl in a hybrid type fashion and it works quite well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.