Us optics

Terry3006

Don't see these scopes talked about much. Anyone have experience with these ? I've watched a couple reviews on u tube and these seem like excellent scopes.
I was thinking about trying this one for around $1400
US Optics BFX-10 10x40 mm

US Optics makes very good scopes. I have their SR-8C and very pleased. Excellent glass and adjustments are spot on. If I had to compare the optical quality, I'd put them on par with Vortex Razor Gen II. Big fan of their EREK knob. They are heavy scopes but will take a beating.

Custom options make them somewhat unique compared to other vendors but it took me about three months to get my scope from the date I ordered it.

The internal level looks like an interesting addition. Not sure I would get that but maybe...
They are heavy. I have a Nightforce compact (capped) on my rifle now with Talley Lightweights.
I've been considering going back to a pic rail and rings. With those and the extra weight would push my GAP non typical over 10lbs. Would be an extra pound. Not too bad though. A little extra weight wouldn't hurt. It's a 30-06 ,,,no brake.

Another scope I've been considering is the Schmidt Bender PMII 10x. A little more pricey though.

B-series are really good for the most part. A couple niggly things that bothered me but, I really liked mine but I like the SN3 ERGO's more so I went back to those.

You might check out the IOR Valdada 10x42 tactical. It's an absolute beast, slightly better glass if you ask me and it's about 1/3 less with every bit of the ruggedness and then some. https://www.swfa.com/ior-10x42-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.html

There's also the Sightron SIII which is an excellent scope at nearly 1/3rd the price. Optically excellent. Not as rugged but still pretty darned good.
https://www.swfa.com/sightron-10x42-siii-30mm-riflescope.html

And of course, don't overlook the SWFA HD model. It's got excellent glass, excellent turrets and is half the price. In a 10x, you'll never notice enough difference to say grace over. Also pretty darned rugged.
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

We just got in a USO B17 and its really nice. Waiting for the 5-25s! I was not that impressed at the shot show, but the production turrets and glass is really good.

It's funny how things change. 10-12 years ago, USO was all the rage, best thing since sliced bread. Now they seem to be more of an afterthought than anything. I had the fixed 10X, the 1-4 and the 3-17. Good scopes but like some said, on the heavy side. Glass was good, but never really wowed me. I'm glad I got rid of mine when I did, becasue they aren't carrying the prices they used to.

It's true that USO isn't the "Tier 1" optics comoany that they once were. Much like Leupold, they've sat on their laurels enjoying the success of their prior achievements and it's cost them a little, but I think that may start to turn around somewhat, at least with the precision rifle crowd. Their prices will likely need to come down some to do so, but they're still a quality option.

That having been said, I'm on a USO kick right now. That's partly because I always wanted one back when they were all the rage, but could never afford them. I'm finding that I also enjoy the simplicity of the GAP reticle, something I didn't enjoy when I first started getting back in to things a few years ago. But I've now got an SN3 3.2-17x44 w/ ERGO parallax, and an ST-10 w/ ERGO as well (the predecessor to the BFX-10). While a little less convenient than a side parallax adjustment, the old ERGO is more forgiving/less sensitive, so you can almost set it and forget it.

If you can swing one, it should serve you well for a nice, long time.

i always wanted one but i was in college when they were big and had to settle for a cheapie scope. never heard anything but good stuff about them.

I have a few of them. I've had ERGO's, TPAL's and B's.

The B's are the best to look through with the most consistency across the image. The pinch screws on the windage knob have loosened on me enough times in competitions and classes that I bounced it. Damned shame. The elevation turret lock is pretty janky and easy to not set properly. Those are the limits of the niggly bits. They really are great optics.

The TPAL's in 5-25x made during their recent change of ownership were terrible on QC and customer service was great but they never actually fixed the problem with my optics. Earlier ER-25's and LR-17's were fantastic optics. The ST-10 TPAL's were unbelievably good and compact and expensive and one of the best scopes ever made by anyone ever.

ERGO models have the parallax on the objective. Some folks don't like that, I do. Mighty consistent glass but not quite up to S&B standards. Close though.

At one time there were only two real choices in premium optics: US Optics and Schmidt & Bender. Now there are way more companies in the game. US Optics's founder died, his son took control, and fundamentally changed US Optics moving them downstream in the market, to mass production, and away from their customer base. Their base was tactical/long range shooters the likes of which wrote most the reviews and congregate on forums like snipershide. Taking away customization, the EREK knob, and technological progressiveness for outsourcing, mass production, and quality loss was enough to significantly **** off their customer base whom have since moved on. On top of this the old EREK knob, milled knurling, and M40 knobs just plain looked cooler.

They make good scopes but so do lots of other companies now. They are definitely a good brand to pick up on the used market considering their loss in popularity. I agree with Basher52, the ERGO SN-3's are gold and they are getting more difficult to find.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.