unit 62 CO 2012

setandglass

Just got back from unit 62 and could not believe the amount of people and pressure this year. I've been in this unit before but man did the people show up this year. Any one else hunt this unit? We had some success 3 elk 3 deer which guess was good considering the bad weather and loads of people. Think I may need to find another unit. What everyone else's thougths that hunt here over run with people or what ? Anyone kill any good mulies

Unit 32 was the same, people everywhere! We had statewide bull tags and moved several times...just more hunters and few people seeing elk. The almost 70 degree weather didn't help.
I got lucky on Saturday morning and connected on a nice bull.

It turns out that all of the people that live in states with no elk are flocking to CO. MT has raised thier prices, WY and ID are running out of elk while they are stocking up on wolves. CO is about the only state where you can easily get bull tag as a non-resident AND get access to lots of land. I suspect that wolves are now in northern CO and will probably destroy the flattops herd in less than 5 years so elk hunting is about done anyway!

It turns out that all of the people that live in states with no elk are flocking to CO. MT has raised thier prices, WY and ID are running out of elk while they are stocking up on wolves. CO is about the only state where you can easily get bull tag as a non-resident AND get access to lots of land. I suspect that wolves are now in northern CO and will probably destroy the flattops herd in less than 5 years so elk hunting is about done anyway!

Those wolves will need canteens if it continues to be as hot and dry as this year has been.:D

Western Colo including unit 62 got very little snow out of the last week's 'big winter storm' that came through and this upcoming week is forecast to be high 50s and dry.

So far I've heard the elk harvest is down while the number of hunters and cattle spotted on BLM and Nat. Forest were way up...:rolleyes:

Jack

Yeah, I hear you on the cattle there was a ton of them. I'm not to worried about the elk I've pretty much decided I'm not paying that much for a elk tag again. I'm more interested in the big mulies anyway. Just wish it didn't take so long to draw a good trophy unit. Sucks to hunt mulies every 8 years.

I have to admit, if I lived there I would be unhappy about all the out of staters trying to kill "MY" elk. But then again take the number of non resident tags (just the Bull tags alone at almost $600 a pop) and tack that money onto your tags and see how you like it. Not to mention all the money the locals make off us, I wonder how many small businesses would go under.
I don't like hunting anywhere I can see another human or even know they are there. If I can see you, you are in rifle range. I wish they would shut all the freaking roads down and really make you work for it. There are roads going everywhere! And where there are roads there are a dozen hunters.

Amen Bravo 4! When hunting on federal land, everyone should pay the same for a tag!

I hope you wern't try to sell me your "local" argument. I live in CO but since I live in the metro area I am under the same constraints of the out of state folks. I have tried to pre scout and make grand plans but when the 1000's of folks hit the roads all bets are off. I still have to drive hours to a pre determined spot and camp there for a week and HOPE things work. We all end up putting in for tags for season XX and depending on weather the elk may not even be in that zip code. The problem as I see it is DOW is more worried about money than actually trying to manage a healthy herd. When they want to drop population in a specific area selling unlimited bull tags is the exact wrong approach. It just ups the pressure and drops the success. I think everyone can agree that to drop numbers you sell/draw cow tags. I would just as soon get a tag every 2/3 years and see 1/2, 1/3 of the people. The price is high but we all know the tag is usually not the most expensive part......... 3K for a gun, optics, GAS and well $600 sucks but in the grand scheme???

What I really hate, and this is NOT pointed at non-residents, but all jack&%(#$. I am sick of the ATV train, shooting off roads, empty'n your gun at running game that "is pretty **** far" and just the general disrespect of the land/game and well meaning hunters.

I wasn't saying I live in CO and please stay home...... I am saying I am a grouchy bastard that is getting fed up with the DOW management scheme and general over crowding of the planet!! haha

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.