Ultimate Muzzleloader......

I have to say cleaning every three rounds doesn't sound like the cleanest burning muzzle loader ever. Now where smokeless isn't legal I understand your need to go w/ the ultimate.
But make no mistake smokeless is cleaner, faster, safer, and cheaper to shoot, than any other ML made.
Has pressure traces been done to test as they have been for smokeless. All loads are designed to stay under the factory loads as far as pressure test are concerned. What makes them faster is the slower powders being used.
Any rifle that has been double loaded (bullet and powder) or the ramrod left in by accident is going to bulge the barrel. If a bullet on a BP gun is not set on the powder it will ruin the barrel, on smokeless it won't ignite.
In smokeless the 45 caliber is the way to go, yeah you can't shoot a cheap bullet unless you down load to 1700 fps to keep from blowing the bullet up on an animal.
Yes I own two SML one savage and one SMI who's been building them for a very long time, and since Maryland allows them I use it and clean once or twice a yr. I talked to one of our Resource officers and he said he owns a Savage though he uses factory loads.
When I did hunt w/ a smoke pole I only used Black powder as it didn't corrode like Pyrodex does. But my wife kept getting upset with me for cleaning the gun in the bathtub. LOL

Good luck with your rifles, I've been looking at that VX6 myself

......... But my wife kept getting upset with me for cleaning the gun in the bathtub. LOL

Good luck with your rifles, I've been looking at that VX6 myself

Oh Boy! Do I know what you went through but, I never used the bathtub cause I'm still alive! My wife really likes it when the chance of freeze is gone. That's when the water and water heater gets turned on in the barn.

I'm picking up my Ultimate tomorrow. The original intent was to shoot with Randy Johnston, learn the tricks and tips, however that intent isn't going to happen. My 90+ mom who lives in the area is ill, so I'll just pick it up on my way by. Family is more important.

There are a few things that need to settle down, snow drop here so I can get on my range, then I'll start shooting. FYI..... Ultimate no longer recommends Pyrodex and recommends the T7 Magnum pellets. The custom turrets are designed for that charge. I get to shoot'n it and I'll post my results. It'll be fun.

Anyone shooting one and if so, are you still following the recommended pellet/bullet loading?

I only know of one shooter who is shooting BH209 and another bullet make. I'm getting close to actually ordering one.........

Living in a state where smokeless isn't legal, I'm looking for a longer range muzzleloader that's designed to shoot substitutes. Yes... I know some smokeless rifles will shoot substitutes but, bullet choices are extremely limited.

Do yourself a favor and go to dougs message boards and look at their conversions for the 700 ML, Encore and H&R 45-70s. Cost is 1/3- no more than 1/2 and just as accurate and hard hitting.

I just bought a used 700 ML and new boyds stock and pacnor barrel installed with ramrod, short starter etc in 45 cal will cost $1150 and shoot the Parker 275s at 2800 fps.

Do yourself a favor and go to dougs message boards and look at their conversions for the 700 ML, Encore and H&R 45-70s. Cost is 1/3- no more than 1/2 and just as accurate and hard hitting.

I just bought a used 700 ML and new boyds stock and pacnor barrel installed with ramrod, short starter etc in 45 cal will cost $1150 and shoot the Parker 275s at 2800 fps.

Been there, done that. Completely. I have two quotes laying beside me and in my saved emails. So trust me, I've already done more than enough homework. I've had extensive conversations with both Luke and Bill. I have a real good understanding of them from months of research.

It amazes me how much shooters are just SWARMING over smokeless and trying to convert everyone else. I don't have a single thing against it but, its illegal and won't be legal in my state. Its a game changer when it comes to hunting. Now the next thing everyone wants to state is, 'they'll shoot BH209 too.' And that's good too but, unless I just wanted another BH209 shooter, I'd keep shooting my Pro Hunter, which is just as accurate and I have 100% confidence in. If I'm hunting and the wife hears the rifle go off, she starts pealing onions...... IF, I ever want to get into smokeless just to shoot paper, then its just a matter of purchasing a barrel and having it worked. If you read everything on Doug's, you'll find that some builders have some concerns, no matter how slight, that if the DNR in states find out about the capable range using smokeless, that it could be completely banned in states that currently allow it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a smart ask about it but, I've done the research and with smokeless being illegal in my state, the Ultimate was a "no brainer". Its a proven BP substitute shooting accurate rifle. An Ultimate has won the last 5 years long range matches in Friendship. Reading above, you'll also find an owner who's been shooting them for 10 years. Oh by the way Ryan, I heard you're a pretty **** good shot with an Ultimate :)

I'll be picking mine up in the morning........

I just got mie with the vx-6 3x18x44, it looks pure custom to me. The McMillan thumbhole stock and such feels great, looks great. It looks like a custom Rem 700, except it shoots bp . I can't wait to shoot it.

I just got mie with the vx-6 3x18x44, it looks pure custom to me. The McMillan thumbhole stock and such feels great, looks great. It looks like a custom Rem 700, except it shoots bp . I can't wait to shoot it.

We'll have to start comparing notes. gun)

I was just going to wait to pick mine up, so that I could go to the range with them and learn about all the little tips and such. However my 90+ mother isn't feeling well and lives in the same area. I called Ken yesterday and told him I'd just be picking it up and not shooting with them. I really wanted to do that but, family comes FIRST. The weather here in MI isn't that great for range time anyway.

Now post a photo of that bad boy.........

Awesome looking rifle can't wait to see some groups.

I can't get on my darn range for ICE. I thought I could just plow the snow away from the bench and start shoot'n. It was so slippery I couldn't move any snow. The wife (bless her heart) started up John Deere and blew 8" of slushy snow. Unfortunately there's 2" of solid ice under all the snow here. I don't ever recall having ice this thick under the snow. With it cleaned off, it should melt in a couple more days so I can get to the bench. As for the target, I'll probably still have to wear snowshoes.

On a good note:::::: I got lucky and found 2,000 large rifle magnum primers today. They're setting on the bench :D

Day turned out nice and I couldn't stand it, had to shoot the rifle. The trigger had slightly more pull than I like, so when I cleaned it, I adjusted that. And yes, it cleans up EASYYYYYYYYYYYYYY....... Stood in mud over the ankles on one side the bench, while the seat sat on 2" of ice.

Not bad for the first time out, even for a beginner........

Awesome start, did you run a schwab between shots? I have mine sitting here, but no pellets, what did you use for pellets, white hot?

Gotta get somefor the weekend. I'm reading the manual tonight so I guess that will tell me.

Awesome start, did you run a schwab between shots? I have mine sitting here, but no pellets, what did you use for pellets, white hot?

Gotta get somefor the weekend. I'm reading the manual tonight so I guess that will tell me.

I shot the T7 magnum pellets, 3 pellets, 180grs. I followed Ken's directions and swabbed between each shot with one (1) patch. In, spin, out, turn over, in, spin and out, then loaded. I took my time out there today. Reducing that trigger pull is going a huge difference next time shoot'n. I did learn a few things today.....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts