Ultimate muzzleloader stock

timmymic

looking at the Remington ultimate muzzleloader, wondering can I replace the stock with any short action 700 stock?

looking at the Remington ultimate muzzleloader, wondering can I replace the stock with any short action 700 stock?

You'll have to open up the barrel channel to accept the larger barrel and likely the recoil lug, then bed the action.

Also does anyone/could I get a brake installed?

Yes you can have a brake installed and you'll LOVE IT. The brake I highly recommend and is being put on my custom build is the LR Customs T-Rex brake. Its a tactical brake and not a radial. It tames these rifles!!! I've had a radial on my BP Xpress and its no match for the T-Rex. I have a friend with a T-Rex on his RUM and he can see the bullet impact his target.

Best thing you can do with that rifle, is to send it to LR Customs and have Levi install the ASG Gen2 breech plug and install his T-Rex brake. Replacing the OEM breech plug is the first thing anyone with either a RUM or UF rifle should do IMO.

There's no weight on the sled and the charge my friend is shooting.... WITH the ASG Gen2 breech plug from his RUM, is 100grs by weight of BH. WARNING..... THAT CHARGE IS NOT FOR PRODUCTION MUZZLELOADERS! READ AND FOLLOW YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL.

This is how well a T-Rex brake works with a heavy charge....

What was the cost to get the brake and install?

You'll have to open up the barrel channel to accept the larger barrel and likely the recoil lug, then bed the action.

Yes you can have a brake installed and you'll LOVE IT. The brake I highly recommend and is being put on my custom build is the LR Customs T-Rex brake. Its a tactical brake and not a radial. It tames these rifles!!! I've had a radial on my BP Xpress and its no match for the T-Rex. I have a friend with a T-Rex on his RUM and he can see the bullet impact his target.

Best thing you can do with that rifle, is to send it to LR Customs and have Levi install the ASG Gen2 breech plug and install his T-Rex brake. Replacing the OEM breech plug is the first thing anyone with either a RUM or UF rifle should do IMO.

There's no weight on the sled and the charge my friend is shooting.... WITH the ASG Gen2 breech plug from his RUM, is 100grs by weight of BH. WARNING..... THAT CHARGE IS NOT FOR PRODUCTION MUZZLELOADERS! READ AND FOLLOW YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL.

This is how well a T-Rex brake works with a heavy charge....

Is it normal for the Remington UM to push the primer out about half ways when shooting.

That is 100% caused by PP head space. Period.
That also means your cases are leaking, which sooner or later will gas cut the nipple. Once the nipple is gas cut, you'll have to send it back to Remington for a replacement (NOTE: IF YOU ARE SHOOTING BH209 YOU'RE SCREWED AS FAR AS REMINGTON IS CONCERNED).
Then you have to hope like help that Remington might do it right the next time. Then you have the PP brass primer carriers that will vary up to .020" in head thickness. Its impossible to have perfect head space with the OEM system. By the way, Remington knows better.

FIX IT ONCE AND FOR ALL!

Replace that *** OEM breech plug with the Arrowhead Rifles Gen2 breech plug and modules. No leaks, no gas cutting, just perfect guaranteed ignition. At that point, you can also shoot all the BH209 you like too.
You will NEVER regret the Gen2 ignition system over the OEM.

https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/uml_replacement_plug/

Back to the stock...and don't forget you need a space for the ramrod if you want to carry it along. I suppose you could carry a quiver for it.

I mentioned it earlier that the OEM laminate uses a short wood screw front swivel stud. BEWARE IT WILL PULL OUT! Not sure about the synthetic version.

I got my UL too late this year to get Luke's improved breech plug. Will be doing that for next hunting season. Looking forward to trying BH209 and being able to seat a sabot bullet without having to clean after every shot. Triple 7 leaves a very tight "crud ring" near bottom. It is so tight that it is easy to get a cleaning patch stuck if you don't short stroke it near the bottom.

Friend has one of Arrowhead's customs with a brake. It is a very nice low recoiling package!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.