Looking for Blackhorn loads for Rem 700 Ultimate muzzleloader

I use 120 grains by weight of BH 209 out of two ultimates and have had no trouble and outstanding accuracy. I'm not talking outstanding for a muzzleloader I'm talking 3 shots touching each other at 200 yards with the Remington sabots. I smoked a mule deer at 200 yards with it, no tracking required. I'm not an expert by any means but I've put around 100 of these charges through one of them and have had no issues other than extreme performance. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a deer sized animal out to 400 yards if given the opportunity. In my experience the pellets are just too inconsistent in weight to get more than mediocre performance but maybe it's just me.

Are you still using the OEM breech plug and nipple?

My how things have changed in 3 years.

Remington WILL NOT warrant their breech plugs if it is known BH209 has been used. Many people have found that fact out. Its not a matter of if, but when that OEM nipple will gas cut and require replacement.
As a matter of fact, a guy I talked with the other day finally gas cut the nipple, called Remington and they told him he ruined the entire rifle using BH. BS! The ONLY thing that was ruined was the breech plug and there's now a fix for that and it isn't an OEM replacement. He's already making the change.

Luke from Arrowhead Rifles created a replacement breech plug, not only for the RUM, but also for the UF rifles, designed to shoot BH209. It seals perfect, does not and will never leak and is guaranteed for life. It totally eliminates the PP brass primer carriers and instead incorporates a module, which simply snaps into the bolt face. With this modification, you can shoot all the BH209 from a RUM or UF rifle that you can afford. Sooooo much better ignition than the entire OEM ignition system.

https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/uml_replacement_plug/

That Gen2 breech plug from Arrowhead Rifles, is the ABSOLUTE BEST THING you can do to increase the performance of either the RUM or UF rifles. Hundreds of owners have already found that out.

Want to tame the recoil? Install a LR Customs T-Rex muzzle brake. That's another thing you'll be extremely happy you did.

Are you still using the OEM breech plug and nipple?

My how things have changed in 3 years.

Remington WILL NOT warrant their breech plugs if it is known BH209 has been used. Many people have found that fact out. Its not a matter of if, but when that OEM nipple will gas cut and require replacement.
As a matter of fact, a guy I talked with the other day finally gas cut the nipple, called Remington and they told him he ruined the entire rifle using BH. BS! The ONLY thing that was ruined was the breech plug and there's now a fix for that and it isn't an OEM replacement. He's already making the change.

Luke from Arrowhead Rifles created a replacement breech plug, not only for the RUM, but also for the UF rifles, designed to shoot BH209. It seals perfect, does not and will never leak and is guaranteed for life. It totally eliminates the PP brass primer carriers and instead incorporates a module, which simply snaps into the bolt face. With this modification, you can shoot all the BH209 from a RUM or UF rifle that you can afford. Sooooo much better ignition than the entire OEM ignition system.

https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/uml_replacement_plug/

That Gen2 breech plug from Arrowhead Rifles, is the ABSOLUTE BEST THING you can do to increase the performance of either the RUM or UF rifles. Hundreds of owners have already found that out.

Want to tame the recoil? Install a LR Customs T-Rex muzzle brake. That's another thing you'll be extremely happy you did.

Yes I am still using the original breech plug and not seeing any signs on the brass or anything. I looked that arrowhead plug up just for future reference in case mine does start to act up but as of right now it's still good. Going on a muzzleloader mule deer hunt here in NM tomorrow hopefully it'll do good work for me and my dad like it has in the past. Bought one for my dad this year and getting the same good results with it so far as well. Thanks for the info I'll have to give it all a look.

Yes I am still using the original breech plug and not seeing any signs on the brass or anything. I looked that arrowhead plug up just for future reference in case mine does start to act up but as of right now it's still good. Going on a muzzleloader mule deer hunt here in NM tomorrow hopefully it'll do good work for me and my dad like it has in the past. Bought one for my dad this year and getting the same good results with it so far as well. Thanks for the info I'll have to give it all a look.

Keep a close eye on the inside of your spent brass. I'll attach a photo so you can identify any possible problems. ANY case that has ANY black inside, you should never re-prime again.

100_4791b.jpg

Keep a close eye on the inside of your spent brass. I'll attach a photo so you can identify any possible problems. ANY case that has ANY black inside, you should never re-prime again.

View attachment 150845

Ok thank you I'll keep an eye on them. All mine still look like that once fired right now, some of them have been fired 8-10 times. Hopefully they'll stay that way but I'll probably order an arrowhead plug one of these days just so I can have a backup plan if it goes south. Thanks again for the info.

Two years later, Western has still not published a maximum charge of BH209 for the Remington Ultimate.

Don at Western Powders told me via phone this week the max charge of BH209 in a Rem 700 Ultimate was 150 Volumetric Grains. (105 grains by weight)

This is the Internet. Believe nothing. Assume you're speaking to a lunatic. Pick up the phone and call Western Powders to verify what was written above if you have any doubts.

Don at Western Powders told me via phone this week the max charge of BH209 in a Rem 700 Ultimate was 150 Volumetric Grains. (105 grains by weight)

This is the Internet. Believe nothing. Assume you're speaking to a lunatic. Pick up the phone and call Western Powders to verify what was written above if you have any doubts.

Very good point in your last paragraph. However some do know what they're talking about.

However..... What Western recommends and what Remington recommends is like night and day. Remington still won't warrantee breech plugs if BH was used. The fix? The Arrowhead Gen2 breech plug and you're done with breech plug problems.

As for Western's maximum, what I believe Western did was to reduce the VOLUME charge by 10grs to be more in line with an average number. I've communicated with them many times over the RUM and UF. Their initial maximum and standing for quite some time, the maximum charge was 160grs VOLUME, of which I have written communication of.

Very good point in your last paragraph. However some do know what they're talking about.

However..... What Western recommends and what Remington recommends is like night and day. Remington still won't warrantee breech plugs if BH was used. The fix? The Arrowhead Gen2 breech plug and you're done with breech plug problems.

As for Western's maximum, what I believe Western did was to reduce the VOLUME charge by 10grs to be more in line with an average number. I've communicated with them many times over the RUM and UF. Their initial maximum and standing for quite some time, the maximum charge was 160grs VOLUME, of which I have written communication of.

160 volumetric grains? Yikes. How can people stand it? You're exceeding the felt recoil of a 500 Nitro double rifle and likely shooting from a bench, not off sticks. I'd take up a new hobby before shooting that BH209 load!

160 volumetric grains? Yikes. How can people stand it? You're exceeding the felt recoil of a 500 Nitro double rifle and likely shooting from a bench, not off sticks. I'd take up a new hobby before shooting that BH209 load!

Actually...……….. there is less felt recoil than there is with 3 T7M pellets when using 300gr bullets with both. The pressure spike of the T7 goes WAY higher than BH, which is a progressive propellant.
Most that shoot often with heavy charges have a muzzle brake installed, which makes it very tolerable. And if you get the right brake installed, its a breeze to shoot it all day long.
The video below is using an LR Customs T-Rex brake. The charge is 143grs VOLUME of BH209. As easily seen in the video, that brake completely tames heavy charges.
NOTE: THERE IS NO (ZERO) WEIGHT ON THE LEAD SLED.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.