Turn necks on virgin brass?

Do they really need it?

What is the variance? If not a wide variance, then why? By better brass such as lapua and it will not be a factor for a factory SAAMI chamber.

Do you have bushing dies?

If you find that you need to, then resize them first.

Use the matching expanding mandrel for the particular neck turning tool to expand the necks to the cutting mandrel diameter.

Then neck turn.

BH

Do it BEFORE fireforming, after sizing & mandrel expansion as BH said.
This is just what shooters with tight neck chambers do(so loaded necks fit into the chamber). They also turn a bit into the shoulder to eliminate doughnut potential.

If you don't need to turn, but just want to reduce runout, turn only the high spots.

Ditto BH & Mike

Turn first but you probably will have to expand the necks so you can get the turning mandrel in. It depends upon what kind of turner you have. I have the Forster turner and run the cases through a Lee Collet Neck Sizer and it is just right for a tight but not too tight fit. The new cases are typically too tight for the mandrel and if you use an expander ball for necks then that typically does not open the necks up enough for the mandrel.

Consistancy does help in any aspect of reloading. Here was a good previous discussion

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/turn-not-necks-21865/index3.html

especially the most recent posts.

Should I wait until they are once fired then turn the neck or just do it right out of the bag?

Thanks
The way I do it using virgin brass is first using an Expander Die open the case necks Id to .001" over the mandrel ID.
Using a body die and the competition shell holder set bump shoulder back by. 002"
Next anneal the brass brass.
When cool to the touch neck turn the annealed case removing -0002" - .0005 "of material from necks O.D.(just enough to clean up the high spots)
Tumble brass in steel pin media.
Dry brass in case dryer.
Now using my match grade FL resizer die with bushing inserted size the neck only. In this manner all debris is removed from the necks ID before insertion into the die
Prime cases and continue to reload to the established C.O.A.L. using the correct tools.
Finally check bullet to case neck concentricity and adjust as needed.
I know that this post is a few years to late, however I felt that the use of an Expander Die and oversize mandrel has reduced case run out (T.I.R) and egocentricity has improved as well. Did I mention that I am now getting even neck tension due in fact to less case run out while neck turning.I can not say enough good things about the Expander Die and correct neck turning oversize mandrel. As an added plus my group size has diminished significantly !

Last edited:
Turn it first and uniform the neck thickness before it is fire formed and has the chance to offset the neck ID. If done this way, and your chamber is good you will end up with concentric cases.

J E CUSTOM

Turn it first and uniform the neck thickness before it is fire formed and has the chance to offset the neck ID. If done this way, and your chamber is good you will end up with concentric cases.

J E CUSTOM
I believe that is what is what I stated however I will use my expander die and mandrel before after annealing and before neck turning . In this manner my cases necks will readily yield to a uniform trimming without the brass galling at all because brass is by nature fairly gummy and soft(malleable). I also use a drop of Mobil 1 oil to lubricate and facilitate with the neck turning operation.
Being a Tool & Die machinist for over 47 years has taught me somethings.
Again I mean no slight this is just my way of doing things.
However thank you for reading and sharing. after all that is what this site is all about.

I think it's odd anyone would turn after fireforming unless you found after the fireforming that you needed to perform it. I can't see what good it does to turn the neck after the chamber forms it, you will still need to run it over a mandrel to push the imperfections out or you will not clean the brass up uniformly. In some cases of new brass I have had to size then use an expanding mandrel to set up for turning.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.