Turn down a muzzle brake?

338RUML

What does it mean when someone says i don't recommend turning down a muzzle brake? I am concerned about not being able to taper the back of the brake down to the diameter of my barrel I don't care about the diameter of the brake as long as my barrel is smooth up to a taper to the larger brake diameter I just can't have a brake that threads on then takes a 90 degree angle to my barrel.

What does it mean when someone says i don't recommend turning down a muzzle brake? I am concerned about not being able to taper the back of the brake down to the diameter of my barrel I don't care about the diameter of the brake as long as my barrel is smooth up to a taper to the larger brake diameter I just can't have a brake that threads on then takes a 90 degree angle to my barrel.

It is normal to taper a brake to fit the barrel contour, (But only over the threads). The reason that it is not recommended that the brake itself should not be turned down is because the web strength is weakened (The area around the ports) and you could exceed the minimum strength requirements
for the brake.

NOTE: some brakes can be turned down some, depending on the manufactures recommendation
but only to there minimum.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.