Turn down barrel contour?

And there's the rub! The guy that'll do it for the least amount of money will probably mess it up! Participating in the shooting sports isn't a cheap hobby. Sometimes you'll get a bargain, but top notch preformance usually cost..... And, to top it all off, lapping takes place after contouring. So plan on losing an inch of barrel length.

Maybe I am missing something here (quite possible), but why would a barrel that has already been chambered and used have to be re-lapped if he chooses to have it re-contoured? I understand that a fresh barrel will have to lose an inch or so due to lapping, I am just not seeing why he would lose an inch off of this particular barrel if it is re-contoured. Why would it need to be lapped again at this point?

Maybe I am missing something here (quite possible), but why would a barrel that has already been chambered and used have to be re-lapped if he chooses to have it re-contoured? I understand that a fresh barrel will have to lose an inch or so due to lapping, I am just not seeing why he would lose an inch off of this particular barrel if it is re-contoured. Why would it need to be lapped again at this point?

Ya',, you're missing the point, Joey. Ever turn the contour on a rifle barrel? I have while in gunsmithing school 23-24 yrs. ago. It's not a task I'll do again on a manual lathe. Too much time involved, and my time costs. Takes the addition of a special made follow rest on a CNC. Any change to the outside of a barrel will have changes to the inside. Relapping is CYA because of those changes. Ask any of the custom barrel makers.

Makes sense, I guess my concern was opening up the bore more than it needed to be, but I would guess lapping takes very little out of the barrel. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.