Tunney or Jewell

all I'm saying is that they are prone to failure out in the weeds (where I dwell). That dosn't happen with a Shilen or a Kelby because they are sealed up. Better do a check, because some forms of bench rest require a trigger saftey. If a Jewell fits your need, then always carry a can of lighter fluid with you (which by the way often screws up bedding jobs). Lighter fluid used to be for sale everywhere, but is getting harder to find everyday around my parts. Ronson is even saying they are going to quit making it to their dealers, and I think Red Devil already has because I have not seen a can in over a year. Pick your poison! Eighty nine dollars that will work very well for 99% of the folks here or two hundred dollars and a can of lighter fluid. (by the way I own three bench rest Jewell triggers, and have been around dozens of others. They all will lock up from time to time out here in the weeds)
gary

If the lighter fluid is applied correctly it will never come in contact with bedding... My competition rifles are glued in and they get subjected to a lot of brake cleaner and never had any issues---just have to glue it in with the right stuff. Guess a lot of it has to do with your Smith and if he knows what he or she is doing..

all I'm saying is that they are prone to failure out in the weeds (where I dwell). That dosn't happen with a Shilen or a Kelby because they are sealed up. Better do a check, because some forms of bench rest require a trigger saftey. If a Jewell fits your need, then always carry a can of lighter fluid with you (which by the way often screws up bedding jobs). Lighter fluid used to be for sale everywhere, but is getting harder to find everyday around my parts. Ronson is even saying they are going to quit making it to their dealers, and I think Red Devil already has because I have not seen a can in over a year. Pick your poison! Eighty nine dollars that will work very well for 99% of the folks here or two hundred dollars and a can of lighter fluid. (by the way I own three bench rest Jewell triggers, and have been around dozens of others. They all will lock up from time to time out here in the weeds)
gary

Gary I have a couple of dozen with never a failure (knock on wood) on the line or in the field.

Gary I have a couple of dozen with never a failure (knock on wood) on the line or in the field.

I'm not saying they break, but will need cleaning much more often than the others. I also never doubted the build quality of a Jewell trigger. I questioned the application. Also just for your information, I used to spend about $25K a year on various expoxies (most all you guys are using some of them), and there's only about three or four that will not be affected by napta or some of the more acidic oils out there. Most are too soft for bedding, and the other is Moglice. Be warned. This is why sometime back I said I was using powdered graphite after cleaning. Now Devcon and Super Belzona have a couple new compounds out there, that they claim to be uneffected by chemicals. I'm going to try one this spring in a stock that I don't care much about. If it works as well as they say you guys will all know.

For a typical varmit rifle or hunting rifle you simply don't need a benchrest quality trigger group. But if you do there are several nice ones out there now for about as much money as you want to spend. And a nicely setup Shilen ain't exactly a bad trigger, and an absolute steal for the price tag. I like the concept of the Kelby better than just about anything I've seen so far (assuming old Bill is right).

gary

i did a search on Tunney triggers. Nothing. Did you mean Timney?

I have a Timney trigger on my Ruger 77 MKII .300 Win Mag. It's pretty good compared to the miserable stock trigger that was on there. It was like an old military Mauser trigger. Nasty! So the Timney was a very big improvement.

I bought a new Jewell trigger for my Rem 700 7mm Mag. It came with the bolt release and safety built in. Also with 3 springs of varying weight. The spring installed as it came is the "hunting" spring and is adjustable from 1.5 - 3 lbs (IIRC). To me it's amazing! I thought the standard Rem trigger that had been worked by a good 'smith was pretty good. But the Jewell is head and shoulders better. As I've heard others often mention, I'm really mad at Jewell because now I need one for each of my rifles.

-- gr8whyt

Thanks for the info I did mean Timney. I just want to make sure it will always work I go out for a two week hunt every year so cleaning it in the field I don't want to deal with it rains and snows so crap getting in there can happens and I don't need it to freeze up. Ya never know when a bear can be around. So it needs to work

I have both Jewell and Timney in my hunting rifles up here in AK. I have put the Jewell through rain, subzero temps, dirty conditions etc. I have never had an issue with them. I just started using a Timney and haven't had a chance to put it through any extended hunts but fit and function thus far is great and I don't think I will have any issues with it.

i did a search on Tunney triggers. Nothing. Did you mean Timney?

I have a Timney trigger on my Ruger 77 MKII .300 Win Mag. It's pretty good compared to the miserable stock trigger that was on there. It was like an old military Mauser trigger. Nasty! So the Timney was a very big improvement.

I bought a new Jewell trigger for my Rem 700 7mm Mag. It came with the bolt release and safety built in. Also with 3 springs of varying weight. The spring installed as it came is the "hunting" spring and is adjustable from 1.5 - 3 lbs (IIRC). To me it's amazing! I thought the standard Rem trigger that had been worked by a good 'smith was pretty good. But the Jewell is head and shoulders better. As I've heard others often mention, I'm really mad at Jewell because now I need one for each of my rifles.

-- gr8whyt

I think the ones to avoid with a Remington are the JARD and Rifle Basix. The Timeny trigger has never impressed me, and would rather have a well done factory trigger. The Shilen is $89 at Midway and the Jewell can be had for about $200 (not sure if it has the saftey). The Kelby is about $300 last time I heard, but has several advantages over the others. Then there's another that cost about $400 that's supposed to be extremely slick. There's also one out there that has a set trigger (name escapes me), and the ones that are adapted to fit the 700 out of Europe (these can be expensive). I had a buddy I shot with that had two Shilens. One was on a 700 and the other was on a DGA single shot action. These triggers are very nice.
A Remington 788 is known to have the fastest lock time of any production rifle, and 95% of all custom actions right out of the box. The 700 is in the lower half of the pack. A Savage is right behind the 788 Remington, but way faster than a 700. Most actions built off of the Mauser design are slow (Mod. 70 and Rugers come to light). The Kelby trigger dramaticly reduces lock time on the Remington, and makes it nearly as fast as the 788 when it gets a speedlock kit with it. You'll never get that out of the others. Of course you could just buy a Savage with an after market spring, and be done with it.
gary

Just remember that many of the firing pin assy's will drag on the shroud and this causes inconsistency. Not only on just the Remmy's but the Stiller's as well.

So do you think a kelby is the way to go over a Jewell. For a hunting rifle.

once again, I think it's way overkill. For a basic hunting rifle, I'd just buy the Shilen for $89. The Jewell's are better benchrest triggers, but with a hunting rifle you compairing apples to oranges. Whatever you buy make sure it comes with a saftey and is setup right from the get go. Safe shooting is always the first thing
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.