huber concepts trigger? or trigger tech/jewell

fisherman983

I had the chance to "feel" and dry fire a Huber a few weeks back. I didn't like the 2 stage aspect but I liked the clean crisp break. I already own and use a jewel on my current rifle but im now looking for a trigger for my second upcoming build. ive seen and read a fair amount about trigger tech and jewel but know very little about Huber. my gunsmith/brother in law likes the Huber and is a self proclaimed trigger snob. he claims the lock time, pull and whatever else goes with rifle shootability and trigger is better with the Huber. im building a hunting rifle and want the weight at 1.5 lbs. single stage.

is any one trigger better than the other?

If it's for a hunting rifle I would say hands down triggertech. Reason is it runs when it's dirty and the trigger works amazingly. They have a number of options and for a field gun I think they are the best.

I've had jewel and timney elite and much prefer the triggertech.

The Triggertech can not have the over travel adjusted and has little to no over travel and therefore is a no go for me. After reading an article on this website years ago I will never have my triggers adjusted to zero(or as close as possible)over travel again. I personally would look and BixnAndy tac sport. It does not have over travel adjustment but has plenty of over travel built in. Having said that the Triggertech is an overall great trigger and will most likely not fail in the field. I do think the Triggertech is much better than any Timney.

The triggers I have used, I would rate in this order:
Calvin elite
TriggerTech special trigger
Timney 510

I love my calvin elite. The break is so clean and crisp and won't let me down in the field.

I have the trigger tech special on my rifle. I love it. Never tried a jewel or Hubber

The triggers I have used I would rate
1.BixnAndy Precision
2.BixnAndy Tac Sport
3. Jewell
4. Triggertech Special
5. Calvin Elite
6. Triggertech Primary

I have avoided the Triggertech due to the lack of over-travel. I have been very satisfied with Jewels and Timneys. I own a Huber Concepts 2 stage @1.5#. It's without exception, the nicest breaking trigger I have used. IMO, there is definitely credibility to their claims about the "tactile" aspects of the design. With use, quick, clean breaks seem to become a mindless process. It is well made, and has proven to be consistent and reliable. Unfortunately, they are only made for the Remington platform. Otherwise,they would likely be mounted on all my LRH rifles.

Why is it desirable to have more over travel?

The preference for over-travel can vary with shooters, or the type of shooting. The idea of having some degree of over-travel is that it provides a margin of unrestricted follow through when the trigger breaks. Having no overtravel may result in unconscious pressure against the trigger that can occur in the milliseconds before the bullet leaves the barrel,moving the rifle, and effecting accuracy. With the exception of Triggertech, just about every other trigger maunufacturer builds in, or has a priovision for over-travel adjustment. I find having over-travel does make a difference in my own precision shooting.

The best shootability factor I've found is with a Bix'n Andy TacSport. The follow though issue is a definite "thing" to consider. The addition of its follow though feature helped me shoot my target rifle even better.

If you are a trigger-tickler and not a trigger-jerker, the Trigger Tech trigger is an excellent choice. You just have to have some conscious control to Not keep pulling through the let off.

I like them both and don't regret owning either one, but if they were laying on a table free for the taking, the Bix'n Andy would go home with me every time.

I've recently gotten a couple of Calvin Elites, and just ordered a triggertech. All replaced 'tuned' triggers in R700's. The CE's were ok; not really enough to wow me, but they are fairly consistent with their break.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.