Tuning Wyatt Mag box

youngtrout

Well, not a ton of info I've found to tune one of these. Wish there were other options for the extended mag boxes. Have another one on a 375 ruger, feeds great but only way to get it to cycle right, or even at all, was to close lips enough to not allow feeding through action, the only way that one gets loaded is from hinged floorplate. Not end of the world

So, got the box and flat follower for the short action 700, for the magnum. Trying to get a 7saum to feed. I installed it as recieved, does not work at all. Bullets nose forward, jamb on the mag well.

So I bend lips on the mag well forward,, out,, to get shell riding parallell, back to not enough grip on shell, they simply pop out of magazine. Planning on sqeezing it back closed, again trying to keep feed lips open in front. The mag well tapers, but box is flat,,,,not sure how to get rounds riding flat? feed lips would seem like they should taper too?

Then you have the flat follower, that keeps coming loose, I've crimped the two leafs, but it will work itself loose,,,,glue? spot weld?

Any posts or any tips out there for these?? Need more length than the 2.84 factory box gives me.

Are there other options?? My reciever is cut for the extended boxes, any other makers?

Any tips are appreciated!

I have used several of the 4" boxes and have had nothing but problems with the center feed configuration. I altered them by straightening the lips, trimming them,and using the action feed rails to control the feeding.I used the factory follower and welded an extension on the front end. This feeds in a staggered configuration and works fine. The follower extention is made from a thin flat scrap of stainless and JB weld will work. I have done 6 of my rifles in 7STW, .300ultra, and .338edge and they will cycle dependably with cartridges over 3.90 oal. If you need more info call me at 478-957-5213 Gary Campbell

Why not track down a number for Wyatt's and give them a ring. I had a Wyatt's box put in my custom build and the Smith told me at one point he was having problems getting shells to cycle until he switched floorplates. Don't know if he did anything else, but the gun cycles shells as good as any factory rifle I've ever owned...

I've got a Stiller action 6.5 x 284 that came with the Wyatt mag.It worked great so I bought two more.They were of thinner metal and short of spacing the bottom metal out of the stock I never could get them to feed.Cut , ground, bent and no luck.Bought a BDL floor plate and replaced the Wyatt and never looked back.I would never buy their product again!

Well, this is a stiller too. Went ahead and dumped the original Wyatt I had. The single stack with flat follower. No doubt people out there can do it. Maybe just not me

So what to do, I went ahead and have standard 700 saum follower on order. Still needed an extended box. So did order the standard extended Wyatt mag box. Drinking cool aid again I guess Hope this combo works out. Was going to modify a long action ultra box. But for 30 bucks ill gamble on this one. Let you know how it works

Should've noted mine has a Stiller and I meant to to type follower and just realized I put floor plate. My bad...

My Wyatt bottom metal and 3 mags are still in a drawer in my gun shop.The Bell and Carlson stock they were in is stuck in a corner.All this came on a Les Bare rifle.The barrel was 1/8 inch off center in the stock and made the rifle look awful in my opinion.
A new Manners stock and new BDL bottom metal turned this into a great looking and shooting rifle.A Saworski 5 to 25 sets on top and it is one of my favorite walk about hunting rifles.I buy shooting products all the time; but a Wyatt mag will never be on one of my rifles!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.