Question on tuning a load

It wouldn't be hard would it, to imagine someone forgetting to apply the finishing touches with a the reamer before it was installed on the action? I'm attempting to learn here, because I had a savage that did the same thing, to a limited degree I admit- even the most timid of loads left an ejector mark with no other signs of elevated pressures. the rifle shot fine until I retired the old barrel at 1500+ shots. I never did find out why it was doing that, Not as severe as what Skidoo is describing though.
Yeah, This sounds worse than a rough chamber, but anything could be possible.

Here's a picture I just sent to Christensen Arms, it isn't as bad as I thought it was after looking again and did not happen to all of them

Attachments

• Resized_20190430_104053003.jpeg
    Resized_20190430_104053003.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 224
So should I be concerned about it? I sent this picture to Christensen waiting to hear what they say.
Any of you have or been around CA before, some people here in town say they aren't worth a hoot, I'm loving mine so far

Any of you have or been around CA before, some people here in town say they aren't worth a hoot, I'm loving mine so far

My father-in-law had one for a while that I got to shoot a while back, he bought it from Cabela's. Chambered in 6.5x284 and he loved it for gettin' some sage rat. He ended up moving across the country and had to lighten his collection a little. From what I remember the Ridgeline he had was pretty dang accurate. He was saying it printed those 128 grain Accubond's into about .6 MOA. (Nosler trophy grade- the guy cant hand load to save his life) other than that "360 degree hole cage" style brake spraying dirt all over me- it met my expectations. Nothing bad to write home about here.

f7e16a12c4106dc4ce331df7318adbe8.jpg
Here's a picture I just sent to Christensen Arms, it isn't as bad as I thought it was after looking again and did not happen to all of them
Picture is kind of blurry but looks like a cratered primer too.

Not sure of cratered, almost looks typical of flow from a 700 bolt that needs bushed.

No can't really feel them running a finger over them. Primer looked good and CA said I have nothing to worry about. I have 2 friends that have CA and both shoot a ragged hole so I guess I'm not to worried what others say, I happen to really like this rifle, I think it feels better then my Seekins Havok 6mm cm

Check and compare pre and fired case dimensions. Measure multiple points including the web, headspace, neck and length. I am not familiar with your rifle or cartridge but I have read about cases showing similar signs because of excessive expansion. Not related to over pressure issues but from a smaller case expanding in a larger chamber and slamming back into the bolt face. Maybe even both brass and chamber are within Sami tolerances but at the extreme edges and you are just seeing the effects of your virgin brass expanding and flowing to fill the larger headspace?

There shouldn't be any ejector marks with factory ammo.
The prc freebore on on their reamer print changed from initial release once loaded ammo was released and was found to be jamming the lands.
I'm suspicious your having something along those lines.
Ejector marks always mean your over pressure.
I'd contact Christensen before firing anymore and explain the problem. Something is strange with that
Absolutely contact Christensen. This is not normal!

Those ejector marks are very serious. They are deep into the bolt face. That needs to be sent back. If you have a bore scope take a look and see what might be there. No sense saving brass like that. Probably has loose primer pockets already. My only thoughts on the excess pressure is an extremely rough throat or a very tight barrel. If you broke it in normally rough throats burn in in 50 rounds or less. But tight barrels will always be tight. Check also if your in the lands real hard on the factory load. If you are put it in a seating die and push it back till it doesn't touch. If you get those makes again stop. Hornady loads are pretty mild aside from superformance. One last thing to check I'd the bolt face itself. Use a magnifier and look at the edges of the extractor holes. Some time in machining there could be a raised edge that will swipe every time with any load. But looking at that brass it looks to be over pressure by a lot.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.