TSA approved gun case recommendations

6mmfan, I have almost always carried a backup scope in QR mounts sighted in in my carryon. Never had to use it, but will do again.

On my last Africa trip they made me remove a knit cap from my case. They said you could only carry a gun (nothing said about the ammo belt, or Leatherman!)
What airline made you remove the knit cap??!! United? That is NOT in the TSA regs, and amounts to harassment.

I also like Pelicans. But be aware, you must have a TSA approved lock on EACH END of the case, not just in the center. The only places I've found the locks are newsstands in airports and nice luggage stores in shopping centers. And test them ahead of time because some have a hasp or cable that is too short to lock in the holes on the Pelican case.
I purchased mine at Walmart…two for each end also.

SD is just about dead center of the US. And guessing that you live in Tenn. you are only about 1 to 1 1/2 days drive to SD. With all the problems associated with flying with firearms there is no doubt that I would drive that distance. No matter how much you research what the airlines and TSA will want from you, there will be problems when you get to the airport and their rules and policies change daily sometimes. I don't trust anyone who handles my baggage at an airport. It's just not worth the hassle and frustration.

Drive to SD. You will be glad you did. And you will know that your firearms are safe and not damaged.
AND, you avoid the hassles of cancelled flights, missed connections, and rushing to the airport to make your flight.

Just be aware the excellent Pelicans are pretty heavy. With two rifles and optics, it gets crowded, and you might approach 50# if you put any ammunition inside. I have thought about taking the scopes in a carry-on. Has anybody done that?
No gun parts in carry on luggage at least on Alaska Airlines. Both you and I know a scope isn't really a gun part but they know its for a gun and will make you check it. Pelican case with 4 matching padlocks not TSA locks they are not supposed to get into your case after inspection. No loose ammo in must be in a container meant to hold it. I do a bit of flying around Alaska this is the general procedure.

1750 pelican its heavy but it works. I put a shotgun and rifle in soft cases. Ammo in boxes and clothes to fill any gaps. I've watched them throw my case onto the conveyor from 10 feet away and never had an issue. I do prefer the latches on the im3300 better. The pelicans take a beating and work perfectly I know I'm not so nice to my cases and have no complaints.
20211010_180644.jpg

I didn't bother reading all 61 posts but here's an idea.

Virtually every hunter that you know who has flown already owns a Pelican or similar case that they've got stored in a closet somewhere. If you don't need a case for multiple trips, just borrow one. My case has been idle for 5-6 years because I generally drive to my destinations while hauling my trailer. I'd be happy to loan it to a buddy.

Just be aware the excellent Pelicans are pretty heavy. With two rifles and optics, it gets crowded, and you might approach 50# if you put any ammunition inside. I have thought about taking the scopes in a carry-on. Has anybody done that?

I believe the airlines do not allow ammo in the case with the gun.

Nanuk, SKB, and Pelican (not their Vault line) will all do well. I run masterlocks on mine. I check it in, wait for the ok from the ticket agent to tell me TSA does not want to open it and I fly with piece of mind.

In 2013 flying to Africa no ammo with the rifles. Same year flying to Alaska they were ok with it and been ok since. I will also mention that with heavy rifles and ammo I usually paid extra for being over 50 pounds.

Hey, I've traveled quite a bit with firearms and I use a tuffpac case. Doesn't really look like a gun case so it doesn't get the complete beat down that a normal gun case does. I put the guns in a soft case then inside the case. Most fly in services don't want the hard case, plus that added weight counts against your limit. I highly recommend this case, I've had mine for close to 20 years and it's just got a few scratches on it.

Take Care
Have traveled with this same case numerous times. Alaska, Canada, USA, Spain. Never a issue. Rifles in soft cases. 9 out of 10 chances you need one when you get to your destination anyway. Put my ammo in a small pelican locked box that fits right in the top. Pack clothes, boots etc around the rifles. Very good keyed lock and away I go. Packed a very good quality metal case on several trips and felt the baggage handlers always tried their best to beat the crap out of it.