TSA approved gun case recommendations

Traveling by air to hunt this spring in SD.
Anyone have suggestions on approved gun cases to look for purchasing. Hadn't traveled with gun flying in 10 years. Don't need any surprises at airport. Seems TSA/airports vary in hunter treatment in the past, hope that's changed for the better.
Pelican, I just traveled to Kodiak AK. Last fall and they worked great. Both rifles were untouched and held zero.

, not theft of conspiracy.
Do a search on the internet and you would be surprised on how many Criminal Rings work at airport baggage handling and the firearms that are stolen. They thieves know exactly where the firearms are located by baggage marked or x-rayed by other criminals in the group. That is here in the US. Delta, South West, United. Just think what it is like in Third World Countries.

Hey, I've traveled quite a bit with firearms and I use a tuffpac case. Doesn't really look like a gun case so it doesn't get the complete beat down that a normal gun case does. I put the guns in a soft case then inside the case. Most fly in services don't want the hard case, plus that added weight counts against your limit. I highly recommend this case, I've had mine for close to 20 years and it's just got a few scratches on it.

Take Care

I bought TSA combination locks at the local hardware store, $11.99, and they are good, because TSA in MPLS and Phoenix have master keys to open. They don't need you. By TSA LAW, your firearm case CANNOT HAVE A STICKER ON IT SAYING ITS A FIREARM, but bad guys obviously know what a gun case looks like, duh. Both places opened, swabbed for explosives and couldn't care less about the firearm, because before you get there you declare them (1 rifle) as unloaded.
I flew Southwest. I put the ammo in the same locked case which is fine by them as long as the ammo is in a shell box designed to hold the ammo, metal or paper. The ammo box doesn't need to be locked. I did additionally tape my shell box. What is NOT ACCEPTABLE IS LOOSE ROUNDS, OR ROUNDS IN MAGAZINES OR CLIPS! In MPLS I had clothes packed with my rifle also, and the guy never lifted the clothes off my rifle to look at it. The guy in Phoenix did, and complimented me for a not needed, but nice touch, yellow chamber flag in my gun with the bolt open.

What is going on currently is luggage being stolen right off the carousel. My advice is to be standing right at where the luggage comes out!

Traveling by air to hunt this spring in SD.
Anyone have suggestions on approved gun cases to look for purchasing. Hadn't traveled with gun flying in 10 years. Don't need any surprises at airport. Seems TSA/airports vary in hunter treatment in the past, hope that's changed for the better.
I traveled to SA and have a Pelican. I really like it. Been using it for 10+ yrs. Gun was dead on upon arrival. Plus it has wheels so you do not have to carry it.

I bought TSA combination locks at the local hardware store, $11.99, and they are good, because TSA in MPLS and Phoenix have master keys to open. They don't need you. By TSA LAW, your firearm case CANNOT HAVE A STICKER ON IT SAYING ITS A FIREARM, but bad guys obviously know what a gun case looks like, duh. Both places opened, swabbed for explosives and couldn't care less about the firearm, because before you get there you declare them (1 rifle) as unloaded.
I flew Southwest. I put the ammo in the same locked case which is fine by them as long as the ammo is in a shell box designed to hold the ammo, metal or paper. The ammo box doesn't need to be locked. I did additionally tape my shell box. What is NOT ACCEPTABLE IS LOOSE ROUNDS, OR ROUNDS IN MAGAZINES OR CLIPS! In MPLS I had clothes packed with my rifle also, and the guy never lifted the clothes off my rifle to look at it. The guy in Phoenix did, and complimented me for a not needed, but nice touch, yellow chamber flag in my gun with the bolt open.

What is going on currently is luggage being stolen right off the carousel. My advice is to be standing right at where the luggage comes out!
I would never in a million years put a TSA lock on my firearm while flying. TSA does not need to have access to your firearm without you present. I use masterlocks when fly.

I would never in a million years put a TSA lock on my firearm while flying. TSA does not need to have access to your firearm without you present. I use masterlocks when fly.
+1! I been using the so called cut proof locks just as added protection. Do they work? Don't know but if it causes someone to move on due to time restraint then it worked.

, not theft of conspiracy.
Do a search on the internet and you would be surprised on how many Criminal Rings work at airport baggage handling and the firearms that are stolen. They thieves know exactly where the firearms are located by baggage marked or x-rayed by other criminals in the group. That is here in the US. Delta, South West, United. Just think what it is like in Third World Countries.
On the internet one can find groups of tin hat wearers proselytizing any number of things up to and including that the world is flat. I prefer experience, all I have is my own. I have logged over 100k air miles per year for the last two decades domestically and internationally. I travel every year to underdeveloped countries in Asia and the americas. In all of those untold numbers of flights I have only ever had a bag lost twice, neither were gun cases. Nothing of value was in these they were just lost. Airline baggage systems are amazingly complex mechanisms but yet still function perfectly the great majority of the time. Like all systems sometimes they experience failure. In my opinion its amazing this failure doesn't happen more often.

Since we seem to be collecting really good recommendations for flying with firearms, I mentioned heavy duty HVAC cable ties but I also put a handful in case plus small roll of duct tape for so many different applications. I tape ammo boxes shut to prevent any possibility of opening.

Not all ticket counter agents and supervisors know their own company firearm policies.
Go online to the airline you are flying with and print off paper copies of their firearms and ammo baggage policies. Have them with you at check in for reference. Most important is ammo storage in the same case as the gun or not and what type of container the ammo is in. This way u can show them you are following their policy when they mistakenly don't know it. Also print out the TSA rules. You will see the airline's policy are very similar to TSA, if not the same.
Also note when looking at the regulations TSA locks are not required. From experience go with a quality non TSA lock.

SD is just about dead center of the US. And guessing that you live in Tenn. you are only about 1 to 1 1/2 days drive to SD. With all the problems associated with flying with firearms there is no doubt that I would drive that distance. No matter how much you research what the airlines and TSA will want from you, there will be problems when you get to the airport and their rules and policies change daily sometimes. I don't trust anyone who handles my baggage at an airport. It's just not worth the hassle and frustration.

Drive to SD. You will be glad you did. And you will know that your firearms are safe and not damaged.

Do not use TSA locks in rifle cases!! The case should only be opened in your presence to avoid theft.
Pelican cases are the way to go.
I travel to CO yearly during elk season. In addition to my rifle I take my Glock 19 stripped in the box together.
Ammo can be inside your case with your rifle and firearm. The ammo needs to be in its original box or if reloading a secured method. It cannot be fed into any magazines. I made that mistake once with my Glock 19. Had to remove rounds from the magazine and the rounds were confiscated.
Hope this helps