Trying to decide on caliber

This discussion now taking place deserves another thread as to not derail the OPs question. Back to the question he asked as he wants to build/buy another rifle. Answer his question!

"Looking at 300wsm, 280ai, or 7saum??" Which one?
Amen to that! My original response stands.
From your list, another vote for the .300 WSM regardless of your intended purpose or range.
"I" wish @djprice91 to respond and make a decision esp. after this many pages.

460 weatherby, want to go long range, load the 300gr TSX at 3200fps, want to shoot them in the timber close up, 550gr woodleigh at 2600fps.

It'll be a lot of fun, just don't shoot it prone or you'll break your collar bone. Standing from a tripod or with it resting on a tree is good.
Lol gotta love weatherbys❗ i have a 378, & 416, both lefty, haven't shot anything living with the 416....yet. I also have a 458Lott That was built for a PH in south Africa, he died before the build was done. Totally devastating on Black Bear❗

A 300 WSM with a 200 ELDX or Berger will do the job just fine. Load them up around to 2850 and just watch.
YUP,. ^^^ this as, MANY here, Voted FOR and LIKE, the .300 WSM of, the "choices",.. from, the OP ! ( the "Polls" are NEVER,.. Wrong,.. LOL ! ).
Put a, 200-210 gr, ELD-X or Berger, Bullet, in IT, Use, a Light weight, Scope on, a Tikka T-3 Rifle @ sub 8 Pounds ( put, a good Brake on it ) and BINGO,..
One of, the Best, cheaper, SERIOUS, ELK, Rifle's on, the Planet !
PS; the OP's gone,.. "Zombie", anyway !

Last edited:
There is A LOT to be said and considered just like wyrshunter1 states. Most guys just considered high BC's which are extremely important for external ballistics but completely overlook Sectional Density!!! Look at the SD difference between the .308 and 6.5mm bullets, you'll be amazed. There is a reason Scandinavians have been smoking moose with the 6.5 Swede since 1894!!!!!

the Scandinavians use 160 gr RN bullets and shoot moose 100 yards and in, & their moose are 1/2 the size of NA moose

no 6.5 will kill as good as a .30 & neither will a 7mm

I have a 6.5prc for antelope and deer, next is to get an elk specific rifle. Looking at 300wsm, 280ai, or 7saum?? Thoughts?
In my opinion whether a 4 wheeler, truck, Semi, or Rifle, there is No Substitute for HP‼️ PERIOD❗ IM A big bastard, 6'0 245 built Farm boy, recoil is a mindset to me, & @ 54 years, love HP❗ESPECIALLY in Rifles. IMO shoot the biggest caliber, fattest Shooting Caliber you can handle.
I Love the 22 Hornet, 35 Whelen, 300 WIn, many more, all the Weatherbys! Of your 3 choices, the WSM for sure 👍 Whether a 25-06 (omg fav) or a 416 shot placement rules above all. An old saying : Beware of the man with one rifle!!

Of all my elk kills, one was with 338 win mag with 225gr Hornady. The other five was with 7mm wsm with 160gr Nosler Partition & 160gr Barnes TSX. Very pleased with performance with my 7mm short mag and the 160gr Nosler/Barnes TSX. For sure a lot less weight to pack around. Just my 2 cents!