Truck gun

That's like what I've heard with my 300AX, it just sounds different not necessarily it's bigger. Deeper more thunderous is what I've been told.
Yep, same with the Ackley. Been told it sounds "deeper and meaner", was how it was described to me a few times. The first time I took it to the range, I fired a few rounds, and then one guy came over from the other side of the range, and said, "What in the hell is that!?!? That thing just sounds mean!" I said, it's a wildcat called the .300 Ackley, and I pulled out a loaded round with a 210 VLD in it seated way out there, and handed it to him, and he just stared at it in his hand for a minute or two. Then he looked up in shock :eek: when I told him it was a 1-mile hunting rifle. :D

I was thinking to myself, "Dude, there's a lot bigger cartridges out there than this..." But he already seemed in shock, I didn't want to give him a coronary.

Had the same thing happen another time when I was shooting my 7mm STW. The big magnums cartridges really tend to floor people when they see them for the first time. You'd think they've never seen anything larger than a .30-06. Haha

Last edited:
Another weird-sounding round (from a distance) is my .300 Ackley. I have no idea why, but it's like it's only just a few wavelengths different in sound from a standard .30 magnum like the .300WM or .300 RUM, but when you hear it, you KNOW it's something different. It's hard to explain. Pretty crazy stuff.[/QUOTE]

Well I guess I'm not crazy. I have been around firearms all my life and Hunted with large groups of Hunters. There have been times that I heard a shot and when getting back to camp no one would admit they shot.

I knew what everyone was shooting and had a good idea who shot, so I would get the guilty party aside and ask him If he wanted to go look for his game. at first denial was the name of the game, but when I would tell them that I recognized the report of his rifle by it's sound, I could tell he wanted to confess. I found many downed animals that would never been retrieved otherwise.

Many firearms have their own distinct sound and can be differentiated one from the other. Some cant be identified to the exact cartridge. but will fall in to a category of their own and the guess is very close.

Its nice to know that others can hear this difference, and recognize a certain cartridge by it's sound.

I guess I'm not crazy after all.

J E CUSTOM

Another weird-sounding round (from a distance) is my .300 Ackley. I have no idea why, but it's like it's only just a few wavelengths different in sound from a standard .30 magnum like the .300WM or .300 RUM, but when you hear it, you KNOW it's something different. It's hard to explain. Pretty crazy stuff.

Well I guess I'm not crazy. I have been around firearms all my life and Hunted with large groups of Hunters. There have been times that I heard a shot and when getting back to camp no one would admit they shot.

I knew what everyone was shooting and had a good idea who shot, so I would get the guilty party aside and ask him If he wanted to go look for his game. at first denial was the name of the game, but when I would tell them that I recognized the report of his rifle by it's sound, I could tell he wanted to confess. I found many downed animals that would never been retrieved otherwise.

Many firearms have their own distinct sound and can be differentiated one from the other. Some cant be identified to the exact cartridge. but will fall in to a category of their own and the guess is very close.

Its nice to know that others can hear this difference, and recognize a certain cartridge by it's sound.

I guess I'm not crazy after all.

J E CUSTOM[/QUOTE]

My favorite sound was my .338 Win Mag. My neighbors said it sounded like a cannon. But in my opinion, my 300 RUM was louder. Just the 30's have a higher pitch sound than the .33

I just did this, I went with a tikka 243 and a TBAC flash hider for my can. 16.5" overall, should be back from the smith this week. I plan on running 87gr v max, should be plenty good for varmints, maybe the occasional deer.

These are my truck guns = legal configuration in Canada.

14" barreled T/C Contender carbines in 338JDJ #2 & 375JDJ AOL is 27.5"

338JDJ #2 = 180gr Accubonds @ 2500fps zeroed 1 3/4" high ! 100 yards is 1 1/2" low at 200 yards tip of the bottom reticle post is dead on @ 320 yards scope is a Leupold compact 2-7x28mm duplex reticle.

375JDJ = 220gr or 225gr @ 2250fps zeroed 2" high at 100 yards tip of bottom reticle post is dead on at 200 yards Leupold compact 2-7x28mm duplex reticle scope.

When I think of a truck gun my mind goes to light, inexpensive and versatile. I picked up a Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39 and put a Vortex 2-7x32 on it. 16" barrel is light and easy to throw around, enough rifle to shoot deer, hogs, coyotes etc at ranges I might need a truck gun for. If someone breaks into my truck I'm not heart broken over loosing a higher dollar custom.

This one is a shortened to 19" barrel in 6.8SPC loaded with 95gr TTSX @ 2900fps.

For deer - black bear etc hunting I also have set ups in

21" barrel in 7-30 Waters
21" barrel in 308Bellm
21" barrel in 35 Rem
21" barrel in 375JDJ
22" barrel in 45-70

For predators I have them in

19" barrel in 204 Ruger
21" barrel in 223

I would call that a 260 Remington, dies and ammo are easy to find.
It or the 7/08 both make great short barreled rifles.

J E CUSTOM
Yep 260 rem is a great round. Performance similar to 6.5 Creedmore. I have a Remington bolt SA love it. A necked down 308 basically. Factory ammo and great supply of bullets, loading dies etc.

Truck gun? I'd go with a $100 SKS and some Fiochhi SP's or an M94 carbine for the common solution and a M99 Savage in .250-3000 for the uncommon solution.

6.5x55 Model 1894 Swedish Mauser carbine 18" barrel with cut down military stock and Redfield peep sight. Bought over 40 years ago for $10 and it has been in my pickup ever since. I have no idea how many critters it has accounted for. Peep sight means no scope to get knocked off. It always stays sighted in.

I have a few rigs that make good truck rifles.

Tikka 243 16" Bbl with my Ti can and B&C stock. I load 87gr Hornady hpbt's and it also shoots the cheap monarch brass ammo .5 moa with 100 gr sp bullets @$14.50/ box.

Second is a PSA 10" 6.5 Grendel pistol.

Next is a m92 Rossi lever action 357 16" barrel.

And a Rem 700 30-06 16" bbl

All work well and laying prone the 243 does pretty good with handloads out to 600yards. The 243 is my favorite handy rifle.

If I were to buy a truck gun today it would probably be a 6.5 Grendel howa or ruger they are good rifles for the price and the Hornady ammo has shot well out of my pistol.