Truck gun

I have one of three in the pick up at all times 1 Winchester heavy varmint 243 20 inch barrel 2 same in 223 3 Montana 1999 20 inch in 260

When i scratched the "truck gun itch", it was with a Ruger american predator as well. In .308, it's light, accurate and as a truck gun is supposed to be, It wont make me cry if i bang it up or in any way lose or defile it. Put some Leupy glass on it and lightened up the trigger...just what the doctor ordered.

When i scratched the "truck gun itch", it was with a Ruger american predator as well. In .308, it's light, accurate and as a truck gun is supposed to be, It wont make me cry if i bang it up or in any way lose or defile it. Put some Leupy glass on it and lightened up the trigger...just what the doctor ordered.
I think I'm going to go with the Ruger American Ranch 16" threaded in .300 BLK or .308 Win with an SWFA SS scope on it for a cheap truck gun. Something compact and inexpensive that I don't have much tied-up in. Kind of like how I stopped carrying all my expensive pistols and revolvers for EDC, and bought a $400 Shield .45 when they first came out. Something happens, I go buy another one for $400, instead of a $1,300 S&W revolver or Kimber Pro TLE/RL II.

I also plan on getting a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel that holds the AR mags just to plink around and tinker with.

My 308 with the 20" 1 in 10 twist tube is very accurate with 168 amax and quite handy with a fixed stock. I find myself reaching for it more often than not around the house. It is easy to handle and maneuver but I can take it to distance if needed. It has the swfa 10x

Thanks

Buck

I have a Carl Gustaf carbine (18" barrel) in 6.5x55 Swede loaded with 140 NBT.

Post of pic of that. Bet it's a beauty.

6.5 Grendel on an AR lower would be my pick. Pistol configuration or 16" with a LAW folding stock.

Post of pic of that. Bet it's a beauty.

I wish, it was a surplus rifle that I started my boys hunting with. It was accurate as heck though.

Carl Gustaf 6.5x55 Swede.jpg

Perhap when it is time to re-barrel, will make it a project to fix her up ...

Last edited:
I don't know how you guys keep from shooting the A or B pillars and or the mirror using those short rifle barrels. I learned the hard way you don't shoot a .357 magnum out the off side window leaning one's shoulder against the steering wheel to steady himself. At least not without ear muffs.. Couldn't hear for a day after that. Typically carry a 788 6 mm Remington in the truck or jeep as well as marlin lever action .22LR.

If you were to build as short compact rifle what would you build?

Thinking a 6.5/308
14.5" barrel plus a pinned brake
Bartlien 5R 1-8 for 6.5 and 1-9 for 308
Manner folding or the collapsible stock
Brake APA (laughs) C.H.O.D.E
Trigger Tech trigger
1-6 Vortex Razor/2.5-10x32 NSX
With other odds and in but that's the gest of it

I'de buy a Ruger Ginsight Scout rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. . Put a 1-6 PST2 on it and go kill stuff.

I think I'm going to go with the Ruger American Ranch 16" threaded in .300 BLK or .308 Win with an SWFA SS scope on it for a cheap truck gun. Something compact and inexpensive that I don't have much tied-up in. Kind of like how I stopped carrying all my expensive pistols and revolvers for EDC, and bought a $400 Shield .45 when they first came out. Something happens, I go buy another one for $400, instead of a $1,300 S&W revolver or Kimber Pro TLE/RL II.

I also plan on getting a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel that holds the AR mags just to plink around and tinker with.
That reminds me I have some .308 roundballs hanging around for making up some grouse loads. Did it years ago for the 5.56 and if my memory serves 3.3 grains of red dot was a passably accurate and decently quiet. Perfectly adequate to dispatch squirrels and grouse. The .308s should be fantastic.

I don't know how you guys keep from shooting the A or B pillars and or the mirror using those short rifle barrels. I learned the hard way you don't shoot a .357 magnum out the off side window leaning one's shoulder against the steering wheel to steady himself. At least not without ear muffs.. Couldn't hear for a day after that. Typically carry a 788 6 mm Remington in the truck or jeep as well as marlin lever action .22LR.
I keep the Marlin 39a around most often these days as well.