Trimming weight off ML

Alan Griffith

I am about to complete my ML hunting for the year in Utah. I have one of Levi Reed's (LR Custom) wonderful custom 45 cal bore riding conversions for my Rem 700 UML. It is wonderfully accurate, powerful and i'm totally confident out to 600+ yds with it. The issue I have with it; it's a PIG! 13+ lbs. It has the original Rem laminated stock. Figure I need to choose another, lighter stock which will accommodate the fat barrel. This year I decided to run with an Athlon Midas TAC, 6-24x50mm, 26.3 oz. It was something I had lying around so decided to use it. Love the scope.....not the weight. The barrel. Thinking of having it carbon wrapped to loose weight. Anyone ever have a ML barrel carbon wrapped? Any issues.....good or bad?

Thank you.

I wouldn't mess with the barrel if it shoots like what you described. I recommend replacing that heavy laminated stock if you want to shave off weight. I had my 700 Ultimate put in a McMillan HTG Edge stock. Custom inlet and stock fitting done by Phoenix Custom Rifles. They did a fantastic job, the rifle is way more enjoyable to carry.

Remington Ultimate .jpg

A composite stock will lighten things up some. Being in good physical shape with muscle memory will help a great deal also. It is like being in the military when you start off carrying your weapon and kit man it is heavy but the more days you carry it the lighter it seems to get. I have made a walking stick 5 foot long that I drilled holes in and filled with lead to bring the weight up to 12 pounds. If you walk and hike carrying it often during the non hunting times carrying a rifle of about the same weight becomes a breeze. Just food for thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.