Remington 700 ML

I've been shooting my Remington 700 ML for almost 20years, a lot of shooting. I became enamored with how accurate and repeatable it was. I have taken a lot of deer with it. Since it is a muzzle loader they were all one shot kills. I used to raise hogs and again that 50cal barnes bullet put them down in their tracks. In the beginning I had the click, failure to fire, symptoms. Called my gunsmith. He had me buy 10 cans of carb cleaner, soak the bolt in a coffee can for days in the carb cleaner, then in kerosene for days, then carb cleaner again and blow it out with an air hose. I lubed it up with RemOil and have never had a misfire since. It came with #11 cap ignition but I had my smith convert it to 209 primers. Never experienced any of the blowback problems discussed here. I put a 20 moa picatinny rail on it and a 4-15 Nikon Monarch and regularly hit steel at 450yds. Couldn't do it without the 20 moa rail. It is a tough, accurate and heavy rifle. I've been using 50gr Pryodex pellets in it from Cabela's. I started with 3 pellets, too much muzzle blast, so much it trashed my chronograph. I could have started a camp fire at 25yds with that. Went down to two pellets and have done all my shooting with that combo ever since.

I have that model in a stainless synthetic 54 caliber. Not sure the value but I could possibly be willing to part with it. Currently it has a stainless/(silver color?) Leupold Vari X II scope.

I've probably owned a half dozen of the 700ML' s. Never owned a 54 cal though. I liked my 45, but sold it when the ultimate came out. All I have left is my youth version, but with an adult stock on it. I've got 2 ultimate, one hasn't been out of the box yet. I think I'll sell it before hunting season. Looks like on gunbroker, I can just about double my money on it. In my 700ML's, about all I shoot are the barnes bullets, and have never lost a deer with them. In the one ultimate that I shoot, I shoot Parker black max bullets, and they are pretty terrific bullets, but they carry a pretty terrific pricetag as well.

Great, I will check it out. It was my fathers gun and he wasn't much on cleaning, I'm thinking I need to take it to my gunsmith , and have him clean it and have him see if there is any pitting inside, I know it effects the accuracy in a regular rifle, so I assume the same with a ML. Thank you for your help and any advice is appreciated
If it has been sitting uncleaned it would be a good idea to let a gunsmith clean it. A l so get him to show you how to do it. Muzzle loaders need to be cleaned in a reasonable time after shooting. T/C makes some handy patches that make it easy to clean and reload.

Yes sir, I like it better than my Encore. It's balanced better and more accurate. I started shooting 90 grains of Pyrodrex RS and now Triple 7 under a black MMP sabot and185 grain 45 cal XTP. The Encore is very picky. I've tried everything from Pyrodex to Buckhorn. If I get over 100 grains of powder, groups open up to 4+ inches. It doesn't like to be pushed. I bought it with the intention of loading 150 grains of powder over 200-250 grain bullets for longer ranges. I've tried numerous bullets (including power belts), sabots and powder or pellet combinations with the same results. It shoots fantastic with 90 grains and a 200 grain XTP but that isn't what I expected or wanted from it.
After a lot of trial and error, I have had good success with my REM. Ultimate using 91 grains (wt) of Blackhorn 209 with 300 gr. Parker Black Maxes using Harvester black #150... sabots@ 2020 FPS. This is my go to load for elk in NM in October. Not only are the sabots accurate, they are easy to load.

Mudman, If you are wanting to upgrade the fire control assy on the 700ML there are a couple of more modern options using 209 primers to eliminate the blow-by. Badger Ridge makes a kit as does Arrowhead Sporting Goods.

These kits are almost the same. I own a 45 and 54 cal 700ml and they are both extremely accurate. I use 777 in the 45, and RS in the 54 - both with sabots and XTP's. The greatest key to accuracy which I have found is consistency with the powder charge. I measure with the blackpowder measure to get in the ballpark, then weigh and trickle to reach the desired load (same process as centerfire). I store the loads in blood vials or little glass jars available from the huge retail site.
I was looking at the ones from badger ridge, I think that would be the ticket. Thank you

I've been shooting my Remington 700 ML for almost 20years, a lot of shooting. I became enamored with how accurate and repeatable it was. I have taken a lot of deer with it. Since it is a muzzle loader they were all one shot kills. I used to raise hogs and again that 50cal barnes bullet put them down in their tracks. In the beginning I had the click, failure to fire, symptoms. Called my gunsmith. He had me buy 10 cans of carb cleaner, soak the bolt in a coffee can for days in the carb cleaner, then in kerosene for days, then carb cleaner again and blow it out with an air hose. I lubed it up with RemOil and have never had a misfire since. It came with #11 cap ignition but I had my smith convert it to 209 primers. Never experienced any of the blowback problems discussed here. I put a 20 moa picatinny rail on it and a 4-15 Nikon Monarch and regularly hit steel at 450yds. Couldn't do it without the 20 moa rail. It is a tough, accurate and heavy rifle. I've been using 50gr Pryodex pellets in it from Cabela's. I started with 3 pellets, too much muzzle blast, so much it trashed my chronograph. I could have started a camp fire at 25yds with that. Went down to two pellets and have done all my shooting with that combo ever since.
I think it needs a good cleaning, I will take it to my smith tomorrow and see what he says about the condition

After a lot of trial and error, I have had good success with my REM. Ultimate using 91 grains (wt) of Blackhorn 209 with 300 gr. Parker Black Maxes using Harvester black #150... sabots@ 2020 FPS. This is my go to load for elk in NM in October. Not only are the sabots accurate, they are easy to load.
I hope my Smith has good news tomorrow, really looking forward to getting started in this

I was looking at the ones from badger ridge, I think that would be the ticket. Thank you
I put the conversion from Arrowhead on my 700ML. Gonna be a big improvement. I could never get ahold of badger ridge, and gave up on them.