Savage ML Ignition

Havingfun

I have a Savage Smokeless ML with stainless barrel and laminated stock with a new barrel on it from Savage.
My issue is that occasionally, the firing pin hits the primer ever-so-softly which dents it but does'nt set it off. This is of course unacceptable. (Yes, I've tried several different primers, with the same results).
I am not sure of the fix for this and am looking for suggestions.
If I lose confidence in it, I will sell it which I don't want to do if avoidable. These rifles are no longer produced and hard to find especially in this configuration.
Thanks,

I have a Savage Smokeless ML with stainless barrel and laminated stock with a new barrel on it from Savage.
My issue is that occasionally, the firing pin hits the primer ever-so-softly which dents it but does'nt set it off. This is of course unacceptable. (Yes, I've tried several different primers, with the same results).
I am not sure of the fix for this and am looking for suggestions.
If I lose confidence in it, I will sell it which I don't want to do if avoidable. These rifles are no longer produced and hard to find especially in this configuration.
Thanks,
There may be the possibility of corrosion inside the bolt and worth checking out. There are online videos you can search.

Buy the way, those rifles command a HEAFTY price, as many of the guys are using the actions with custom barrels. If you can find one, they're going for up to $900 on some sites.

Thanks Encore. Mine might be up for sale. Sometimes it's more efficient for me to just get something else rather than spend a lot of time fooling with it. If anyone is interested, drop me a note. In the meantime, I have contacted a reputable gunsmith who apparently specializes is the Savage ML to get some opinion.

OK, based on several forum discussions, I am hearing on the Savage ML, there is a known issue with making sure the bolt handle is all the way down. Apparently, even the slightest uptick in the handle can and will cause a light strike.
This morning, I took about a dozen of the Federal 209 primers, which are known to cause problems because they are sometimes seated too deeply, and fired one after the other. I made sure the handle was all the way down each time and I never had a misfire. Maybe that was the problem all along (maybe not). I'll test and re-test to see if I ever get a light strike again and if I do, I'll start worrying again.
In the meantime, if someone has something more to offer, I'm all ears.
Thanks,

Crap, just sold mine for $800 with a vortex viper and a couple pounds of powder... I had not shot it in a couple of years, but did have some really good groups out of it at 300 yds.
I never had the issue you are describing. That being said, if the bolt is not closed all of the way, you are effectively moving the primer farther towards the rear of the receiver and away from the breech plug. Which could create a light primer strike since the primer wouldnt be seated against the breech plug. I have had that issue with a CVA optima. Fix for it was a buna o-ring inside the breech plug as seen in the pic. I get 30-40 shots before I have to replace the O-ring shooting CCI 209M primers. I realize that the Savage breech plug is a slightly different design, but if you could make something similar it would take up the slack that may be causing the light hits. If excess space isnt causing the issue with the light strikes, then you need to replace the spring inside the bolt.

Attachments

• breech .JPG
    breech .JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 179
OK, based on several forum discussions, I am hearing on the Savage ML, there is a known issue with making sure the bolt handle is all the way down. Apparently, even the slightest uptick in the handle can and will cause a light strike.
This morning, I took about a dozen of the Federal 209 primers, which are known to cause problems because they are sometimes seated too deeply, and fired one after the other. I made sure the handle was all the way down each time and I never had a misfire. Maybe that was the problem all along (maybe not). I'll test and re-test to see if I ever get a light strike again and if I do, I'll start worrying again.
In the meantime, if someone has something more to offer, I'm all ears.
Thanks,
I own a the same exact model 10ML-II as you do stainless steel wood laminated stock. I bought mine the first year it first year it came out. I have at least 1700 rounds down the tube in mine. Never had any lite primer strike or any other issues with mine. Never even heard of the 10ML-II having a lite primer strike issue so it's news to me.

To be 100% forthcoming I have NEVER disassembled and cleaned my 10ML-II's bolt. Yes I soak it regularly in my home made non-heated vibratory cleaner and clean the outside of it very well but never have disassembled it. It never gave me any cause to.

I also used Federal, Winchester and CCI 209 primers in mine. My 10ML-II never showed a clear preference for any 209 primer shot great with all I used. I stuck with Winchester as I had bought a butt load of them.
Hunted with it and shot it in very low double digit temps and because it was loaded with smokeless powder I would pull the primer and leave it loaded for an entire hunt for 2-7 days at a time and fire it at the end of my trip if I didn't take a shot at a deer. As an experiment I once left it loaded primer pulled for one month after ML season closed and took it to my rifle club and it not only fired it kept it's zero vey well.

All of the loadings I fired from it were/are ultra high performance non-Savage loads using non-recommended or approved Savage powders like RL7, RL10X, H4198, IMR4198. Slowest load I fired using 290-325grn bullets was 2300 FPS/MV fastest was over 2400. With 245-250grn bullets I was pushing from 2550-2650 FPS/MV could have pushed it to over 2800 FPS/MV if i wished to, but I was getting great groups at 200 yards so I stopped at 2650. Never had a single issue ever. Not one.

If I recall most bolt actions will have issues if the bolt becomes dislodged upwards that's why so many now will lock the bolt in place while safety is on. IIRC, Mauser's 96/98 control round feed bolts have had this feature pre dating WWI Hence the three position safety copied by first I think Springfield in the 03 and then Winchester for their M70 fallowed by Ruger with their M77 were again IIRC the first American rifle makers to copy this from Mauser. My model 96 Mauser in 6.5x55 that was made prior to WWI has this type of bolt.

I will advise you to think long and hard before you part with your 10ML-II as getting another one will be quite difficult and VERY costly and if you stick with the slower lower pressured factory loads it should give you superb accuracy.

I absolutely LOVE my T/C Encore and both my Knight Elites especially since converting to only ever using BH209 which turned my non-smokeless in lines in to consistent tac drivers. My T/H stainless Elite with the bare primer conversion is consistent literal three shot one hole 100 yard in line with BH 209.

The biggest difference between my non-smokeless and smokeless in lines is max effective range. My 10ML-II easily has at least 2x the effective range of my non-smokeless in lines.

But when it comes to in line ML's, nothing IMO beats the convince and performance of a smokeless inline.

Last edited: