Savage ML 10-II Mods

Stickerflicker1

Just picked up a SS Savage to build for the kids more so for my daughter as she is ate up over ML hunting. Id like to push it out to 400 with accuarcy (Big Coues deer hunters here) with this, are there any changes you do to any of the internals (striker, breech plugs ect......) im keeping the original stock on for now (Bedded the stock yesterday) until i get the optics figured out (Thinking NF SHV 20x with steel Farrell Bases and steel TPS Rings.) Planning on starting load development with Blackhorn 209 but what bullets would you all recommend to start with. I appreciate it.

How stout is your daughter? Most of the guys who got long range accuracy with the 10MLII were pushing 300gr bullets with loads my shoulder could not take. In the days prior to the fire PacNor's .45 barrels were the rage for modification. I got one and never looked back. This barrel is light years ahead of the factory barrel. I understand McGowen still will make a barrel in which you send them a breech plug. Vent liners in the factory breech plug wear out too fast, lasting a few scores of shots. For many hundreds of shots a BP with a tungsten-carbide bushing is far superior with many fewer headaches. For more info, visit Doug's Message Boards or Hank's Message Boards, join, and ask questions.

Wasn't able to get a good group but I will say the kids will love shooting this! Kicks no more than there braked 7-08s I built them. Shot the 285 fury universal with 100gr weight and didn't group very good. Thinking since it's a 1:24 twist, maybe the 320 with more bullet to bore contact or just need to get it out further. Really happy though so far. Couple weeks my son is hunting javilina with it. My daughter wants to hunt coues deer so hell, I guess I will too. Not much time let.

Attachments

• 20230730_143904.jpg
    20230730_143904.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 40
Can't use sabots with the brake. I'll eventually rebarrel to .45 but my daughter loves to shoot/hunt with a muzzleloader. Got some 320gr fury universals in to try.

Can't use sabots with the brake. I'll eventually rebarrel to .45 but my daughter loves to shoot/hunt with a muzzleloader. Got some 320gr fury universals in to try.
Harrel's Precision makes a Brake for use with Sabots if you decide to go that way...

Harrel's Precision makes a Brake for use with Sabots if you decide to go that way...
Those were the brakes installed on all the UF rifles. They work perfectly with sabots.