Savage 10 ML II vs Maine Bull Moose

Fleavitt

I've been drawn for a Bull Tag here in Maine and am considering using my Savage 10 MLII. I bought the gun new last year and have not done too much with it. What I have done has been with Accurate 5744 and Hornady 300gr XTP's with a MMP sabot. I'm thinking ill need to switch bullets for moose. I'm looking at the Barnes Expanders or the Harvester Scorpion PT both in a 300 gr.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with these bullets in a Savage?

I've been drawn for a Bull Tag here in Maine and am considering using my Savage 10 MLII. I bought the gun new last year and have not done too much with it. What I have done has been with Accurate 5744 and Hornady 300gr XTP's with a MMP sabot. I'm thinking ill need to switch bullets for moose. I'm looking at the Barnes Expanders or the Harvester Scorpion PT both in a 300 gr.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with these bullets in a Savage?

Congrats on the tag!

I have absolutely no experience with the Savage. IMO you'd probably be doing yourself a favor switching from the XTP for moose. The Barnes Expander will open very quickly with the large opening and if it were me, I'd most likely try both the 290gr TMZ and 290gr T-EZ and find out which one shot more accurate and loaded the best. Barnes is all I've hunted with for many years and I have 100% confidence in its performance and consistency. I've shot the Scorpion PT Golds this year at target, but have never shot game with them.

Very unfamiliar with smokeless, as its illegal to hunt with for me in my state. I shoot both a Pro Hunter and a custom Ultimate. If I were hunting moose, the bullet I would use, without question or hesitation, would definitely be the Barnes 290gr with either rifle.

Good luck and wishing you success!

Go to Dougs Message Board and learn, the secret to smokeless 50 cal is a tight bullet sabot fit. You will want 40 lbs of seating pressure or thereabouts for ensured ignition.
Here is the web site Savage/Smokeless Muzzleloading | Doug's Message Boards
I changed my barrel to a 45 and it is less trouble to shoot well. powder that shoot well along with the factory stated ones is 60gr N-120 was what I used in my 50.
Also the 300 Gr Barnes original is a favorite bullet. Make sure you use the correct sabot as not all sabots will stand up to smokeless loads

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.