Remington 700 ML

mudman02

Question, I've got a Remington 700 ml, probably one of the first ones made, it came with a scope on it, the bottom of the scope was covered with what looked like burnt powder, the burnt was right above the bolt, is it supposed to leak gases there or are the seals worn out, if there are seals. Thank you for your help.

Look at the black plastic piece on the end of the bolt, it has a vent hole in it. The hole is probably pointed straight up when the bolt is closed and venting onto the bottom of the scope. Rotate the plastic piece until the hole faces to the right side with the bolt closed, make sure the hole is visible. This will vent the very small amount of gas away from the scope and action.

Great, I will check it out. It was my fathers gun and he wasn't much on cleaning, I'm thinking I need to take it to my gunsmith , and have him clean it and have him see if there is any pitting inside, I know it effects the accuracy in a regular rifle, so I assume the same with a ML. Thank you for your help and any advice is appreciated

I was not that familiar with the early Rem ML. It looks like they discontinued making it in 2005.

Read an article by Randy Wakeman that mentioned:
"The supplied weather shroud is a tube that fits over the end of the bolt, then ensconces the primer nipple. Currently, the Remington WebSite states "NOTE: The Model 700 ML Weather Shroud is not intended for use with 209 primers." This information has not yet filtered into the instruction manual , but it is good advice. Firing the rifle with the weather shroud in place directs most to the gas right into your face. If you must shoot a Remington 700ML / MLS with the weather shroud in place, the #11 cap ignition is the least painful option.
"A 700 MLS was test fired for this article. With the feel of flaming sand impregnating itself into my face, this gun truly is a pain to shoot."

I looked into the weather shroud and discovered there is a metal replacement. Didn't see any vent hole but picture could have it on other side. Company says: " helps protect scope from blow back discoloring."

The company also offers a 209 conversion kit which they say is better than the #11 caps

I bought my Remington 700 ML the first year they came out. I shot it with #11 caps until they came out with the 209 conversion kit. I've used the weather shroud since I bought it and continue to use it even with the 209 conversion without issue. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I have never experienced any " blowback" in over 300 shots. It's still my go-to muzzle loader and I much prefer it over my TC Encore.

You like it Better than your encore?
I've got plenty of 777 powder and probably use xtp bullets, dad use to have a lot of misfires and sometimes just a click, he finally got feed up with it and put it in the closet

Yes sir, I like it better than my Encore. It's balanced better and more accurate. I started shooting 90 grains of Pyrodrex RS and now Triple 7 under a black MMP sabot and185 grain 45 cal XTP. The Encore is very picky. I've tried everything from Pyrodex to Buckhorn. If I get over 100 grains of powder, groups open up to 4+ inches. It doesn't like to be pushed. I bought it with the intention of loading 150 grains of powder over 200-250 grain bullets for longer ranges. I've tried numerous bullets (including power belts), sabots and powder or pellet combinations with the same results. It shoots fantastic with 90 grains and a 200 grain XTP but that isn't what I expected or wanted from it.

Yes sir, I like it better than my Encore. It's balanced better and more accurate. I started shooting 90 grains of Pyrodrex RS and now Triple 7 under a black MMP sabot and185 grain 45 cal XTP. The Encore is very picky. I've tried everything from Pyrodex to Buckhorn. If I get over 100 grains of powder, groups open up to 4+ inches. It doesn't like to be pushed. I bought it with the intention of loading 150 grains of powder over 200-250 grain bullets for longer ranges. I've tried numerous bullets (including power belts), sabots and powder or pellet combinations with the same results. It shoots fantastic with 90 grains and a 200 grain XTP but that isn't what I expected or wanted from it.
I understand that, it should have done what you wanted it to. I guess I need to study up on muzzleloading, I still need to get the barrel checkout for pits, dad was pretty ****ed with it when he put it in the closet. I sure thank you for your time. Any more advice is welcomed

I also have an early 700ML, but mine is the youth model. The 20" inch barrel is way handier than the 24" when hunting in the woods. Mine originally was the no 11 cap model, then I converted it to 209's, and now I've converted it to Blackhorn. The 777 sucks in the Remington 700ML. I switched to Black MZ, and it's about 10 times better than 777, but now going to Blackhorn. Them old 700ML's are good muzzleloader. I've killed a boatload of deer with mine, and have had a 700 ultimate since they came out, and I can't imagine a better muzzleloader, unless it's a smokeless.

Question, I've got a Remington 700 ml, probably one of the first ones made, it came with a scope on it, the bottom of the scope was covered with what looked like burnt powder, the burnt was right above the bolt, is it supposed to leak gases there or are the seals worn out, if there are seals. Thank you for your help.
Mudman, If you are wanting to upgrade the fire control assy on the 700ML there are a couple of more modern options using 209 primers to eliminate the blow-by. Badger Ridge makes a kit as does Arrowhead Sporting Goods.

These kits are almost the same. I own a 45 and 54 cal 700ml and they are both extremely accurate. I use 777 in the 45, and RS in the 54 - both with sabots and XTP's. The greatest key to accuracy which I have found is consistency with the powder charge. I measure with the blackpowder measure to get in the ballpark, then weigh and trickle to reach the desired load (same process as centerfire). I store the loads in blood vials or little glass jars available from the huge retail site.

Recent Posts