Loading a ml

jwall3d11

I have a smokeless muzzle loader built on a Remington 700ML action with a PacNor barrel. I was shooting it yesterday and got to thinking, is there any damage done to the barrel from the process of loading it? Seems like forcing a bullet down a barrel can't really be good for it. I just recently got to shooting this gun and I haven't got it figured out yet but I use a Swing lock full form die with Parker match bullets. Just curios if loading it is causing any negative impact on the barrel? I'd like to be able to shoot sub moa out past 500 yards. It is a Rem/PAC with a Timney trigger, 4 port muscle brake, bedded in an HS Precision stock and at the moment has a Zeiss 4.5-14 scope on it.

I don't think it will do harm the bullets or softer then the barrel. you may have worst with the ram rod on the crown rubbing on it over time. if you or shooting sabotless make the bullet a little smaller and check the alinement of the lands on the die to the bore matching the die. turn the bullet one land at a time to fine the wright match. then mark the die and the land and the bullet win you resize it so it will match the bore every time you load it. if this was made from your drop. this will help for the lands or not even.

There is gadgets for sale that you insert into the barrel after short starting your bullet . You then insert your loading rod through that and it keeps the rod away from the crown.

The bullets should not be that hard to push down. Here is a video on proper adjustment of the swinglock die and indexing marks.

Also, Luke Horak at Arrowhead Sporting goods sells the starters and 3 piece rods. Sounds like he also made your rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
BH we have been using slip fit bullets for as long as I have been shooting long range muzzleloaders , only difference is we use long lead bullets that are paper patched but I see no reason why it would not work with shorter bullets.

Also, Luke Horak at Arrowhead Sporting goods sells the starters and 3 piece rods. Sounds like he also made your rifle.
I did get a starter and 3 piece rod from Luke and yes my gun was assembled by Luke at ASG. The 3 piece ramrod is a very nice piece also, breaks down and easily packable. Thanks for the video link too, I was hoping something like that would surface. I'll try and get a picture up of the gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts