Help me decide on a ML

joshua99ta

I've been wanting to pick up a new ML for a while now. I've been looking around and I can't decide on what I want. I'm not going to buy one w/ interchangeable barrels, I've heard a handful of folks say they don't hold groups for ****... so thats out.

I was looking @ the CVA accura w/ a thumbhole stock in stainless.

I have a relative w/ a knight that I've shot some 1" groups @ 100 with but I haven't really found any on the web to look @ (most websites here @ work are blocked).

If your looking at an inline, look no further than a T.C.
If your looking for a true muzzle loader check out Lyman.

yeah im looking for an inline... I didnt know TC made anything else but the encore.. or whatever it is with the interchangeable barrels

There are a few really good inlines out there now, five years ago there were only a few. I currently have a TC triumph that I picked up on clearance at walmart for $259. It's a shooter, sub MOA, and has the speed breech that removes by hand with a 1/4 turn. Real easy to clean.. If you ever shoulder one without a scope, you might not like it, they have a high comb that is set up perfect for a 40mm scope though. I also have a knight long rang hunter. It is a beautiful gun, but a little on the heavy side. I got it used "perfect condition" on a different forum for like $325 delivered when knight went belly up. "Knight is now back in business though." It is also a tackdriver, but is pain to clean.

I use burris fulfield scopes on each with the ballistiplex reticals which makes for easy holdovers in the field while hunting. I've also heard a lot of really good things about the CVA accuras and optimas. Those that have the bergarra barrels are supposed to be super accurate. You can get details on all sorts of ML's over at at modernmuzzleloader.com, the guys on there really know there stuff and do a lot of shooting, that's also where I picked up my Knight LRH at. Any of the above rifles, plus a few others would be a good choice.

Take a look at the Savage ML. It is a fine shooting machine! Shoots smokeless powder, no worry about cleaning, shoots a 250 gr. bullet at about 2,200 fps. It comes standard with the accu-trigger starting at about $600. The T/C Encore & Pro-Hunters start at about $750 and as soon as you get them you have to have a trigger job done to get rid of the 6-7lb pull, and then you have to change the sloppy hinge pins.

jm2c

thanks for the info fisher!

john... I'm not sure that I want to spend that much on a ml.... I'll probably only use it once or twice a year... I do more bow hunting than rifle hunting b/c not all of my places have the option for more than 30-40 yard shots... but the ones that offer more have up to 600 yarders... so that kind of knocks a ML out so I wont be using one very much.

I'm thinking the CVA accura is going to be my choice in the end, especially if they shoot worth a flip... im gunna do some more research before I purchase though.

I don't know where you got your info about the interchangeables. Simply not the case. I have one that is super accurate, I have three friends that have them as well. Every one of them shoot incredible.

Savage 10MLII You will throw rocks at every other ML you have fired. Just as accurate with black powder subs as it is with smokeless powder and with smokeless you can load for 300 yard shots and shoot them with ease. Mine shoots 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards, and it is the plain black one with the cheap stock. they aren't cheap but they are worth the cost, and addictive as cigarettes to shoot. it is so nice to just shoot and reload, without all the crap in between.

Love my CVA Accura!

250gr Thor conicals, 100gr Blackhorn209, CCI 209M primers, 5 shots at 100 yards with open sights! Im allowed at least one "oopsie" arent i? :D
000_0463.jpg

000_0918.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.