Remington 700 ML

I have friends that own the 700ML. They did not switch yet to 209's. They found that if they left the bolt cocked the factory spring would weaken and not have as much oomph as when new leading to occasional misfires. I never leave any of my bolt guns cocked in storage. The 209 upgrade kit had a much better spring in it. And I must say that I have no idea which kit the gunsmith installed for me, except that it works really well.

Well the Remington is now on the back burner, the smith said it was in bad shape, so, I will go with an encore 209x50. It doesn't have a Breech plug, they didn't look to expensive, I also picked up 2 containers of bh209, man that grap is high dollar , now to figure out what bullets to try.
I'm sorry to have troubled you great people.

Yes sir, I like it better than my Encore. It's balanced better and more accurate. I started shooting 90 grains of Pyrodrex RS and now Triple 7 under a black MMP sabot and185 grain 45 cal XTP. The Encore is very picky. I've tried everything from Pyrodex to Buckhorn. If I get over 100 grains of powder, groups open up to 4+ inches. It doesn't like to be pushed. I bought it with the intention of loading 150 grains of powder over 200-250 grain bullets for longer ranges. I've tried numerous bullets (including power belts), sabots and powder or pellet combinations with the same results. It shoots fantastic with 90 grains and a 200 grain XTP but that isn't what I expected or wanted from it.
I have one of the first 700 MLs and it absolutely loves the Power Belt bullets with 90 gr of RS.

Your gunsmith should be able to rebarrel the Remington. New high pressure barrels are available from a lot of barrel makers now.

Well the Remington is now on the back burner, the smith said it was in bad shape, so, I will go with an encore 209x50. It doesn't have a Breech plug, they didn't look to expensive, I also picked up 2 containers of bh209, man that grap is high dollar , now to figure out what bullets to try.
Look no further than Barnes 250 grain mz bullets. They're accurate as heck, and after 20 years of hunting muzzleloader season, I have yet to lose a deer. They will really put a whackin' on them. If you want a bullet that is absolutely at the top of the pile, the 300 grain parker black max is unbelievable. It's a tough, tough bullet, and will flip a deer upside down from the standing position. Believe me, that happened to me last year. I was pushing the bullet with 115 grains of Alliant Black MZ and a magnum large rifle primer in my Remington 700 ultimate.Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
I believe Numrich may have some new remington barrels yet..
I think that too. Now called
Gunparts.com . I see shops like Shilen and McGowan and others like Pac-Nor and maybe Hart offer barrels for that rifle and others

I think Pac-Nor will supply the barrel and the Finnish you like and install it on your action. That's why they are named
Pac-Nor Rebarreling Inc.

I think that too. Now called
Gunparts.com . I see shops like Shilen and McGowan and others like Pac-Nor and maybe Hart offer barrels for that rifle and others
Just looked on gunparts.com. They're out of stock. Probably won't ever have any more.

Barnes 250 grain muzzleloader bullets are about as good as you can get. They're accurate, and over 20 years of shooting them, I have yet to losea deer. They will really put a whackin' on deet.

Just looked on gunparts.com. They're out of stock. Probably won't ever have any more.
Check some of the barrel shops. There is a gunsmith with last name of Hankins I believe in Northern KY near Florence KY I think who rebarrels muzzle loaders all the time with barrels that can be loaded and fired with smokeless powder.