Trigger Selection & tuning -> for Target/Hunter build

300magman

I am currently thinking about building a target/hunter rifle in 260 rem with a medium heavy 24" barrel. I haven't decided if I am going to start with a T&T'ed Savage Action or a trued Rem. . . I could go either way.

The deciding point that has me stuck is the trigger. For 600 yard target shooting I would want a nice crisp trigger that could break at 1lb or under, but the hunting would come in winter and I would feel more comfortable putting my frozen fingers on a trigger that was at least 2.5lbs, probably 3.

Would there be a trigger out there that I could Easily & Consistently adjust back and forth between those pull weights without much time, skill, or effort?
I would only be doing it a few times a year, but it is still the biggest deciding factor in my build.

Triggers I had been considering with a remington: Factory tuned or Jewel
And with the Savage: Light weight Accutrigger or SSS Comp Trigger

But I would also be open to other suggestions.

I would chose the Jewell trigger for several reasons.

1 = they are adjustable in those ranges without a spring change if you select the HV model.

2 = they can be adjusted without taking the barreled action out of the stock.

I like to set my hunting triggers @ 2.2 LBs and the Jewels feel like they are around 1 Pound
because they are so crisp and break clean.

There is a down side to them though, Once you put one on a rifle you will want to replace every
trigger you have with a Jewell.

J E CUSTOM

Another +1, very seriously.

I've tried Timneys, Rifle Basix and tuned Remingtons, and after using a Jewel I will never use any of the others mentioned. Got 10 of them now.

Another +1, very seriously.

I've tried Timneys, Rifle Basix and tuned Remingtons, and after using a Jewel I will never use any of the others mentioned. Got 10 of them now.

Yea, that is the ONLY problem with a Jewel Trigger------------
Once you put one on ONE GUN, you end up putting them on ALL of your guns, I think I am up to 7 or is it 8.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.