Barrel Selection for M700 build

lacajun

I have a M700 35 whelin that I will taking to the local smith for a new build. I have a couple short actions that I had re barreled a few years ago.one in 260 and the other in 6.5 CM. Both of these builds have Remington varmint contour Bartlein barrels and are a little on the heavy side. On the long action this time I am leaning on towards a 280 AI and would like to end up with a lighter rifle but one will still shoot tiny groups. probably going with a Bartlein again but something lighter than the Remington varmint contour. My question is how far down in barrel size before I start giving up accuracy..... cant afford a carbon barrel BTW

Thx..

I used a Bartlein #3 on my recent build in .284 and it's finished at 26". This is soon becoming one of my favorite all purpose contours. It's heavy enough to sit nice in the bags and not heat up in 2 shots, but not too heavy like the Remington Varmint/Sendero contours on my other rifles.

Love the 3b but I think if you decide you want it threaded 5/8x24 you will need a slightly heavier contour depending on length.

I built a 338 Norma Mag sporter with a barrel profile which is 24in length, Remington Magnum contour +.060. It is .710 at the muzzle and supports a 5/8 muzzle brake no problem at all.
Brake - SM.jpg

It is just a touch over 3B size and is as heavy as I would want to go for a walking hunting rifle.

I'd say much over .700" at the muzzle will be kinda heavy. You didn't ask but why are you moving away from the 35 Whelan? Hell of a hammer there. The 260 and 6.5 creedmore are really similar. Why not rebarrel one of those to 284 win or rechamber to 6.5x284?

A 260, 284, and 35 whelan would cover quite a few bases.

These are from the Bartlein Barrel Contour page:

3 Heavy Sporter 1.200 2.750 6.000 0.870 26″ 0.670 3.50#
3″B" Lt. Bull Sporter 1.200 2.750 6.000 0.900 26″ 0.700 4.00#
4 Bull Sporter 1.200 2.750 6.000 1.000 26″ 0.750 4.50#
13 Rem. Varmint/Sendero 1.250 2.000 4.350 0.950 26″ 0.830 4.65#

https://bartleinbarrels.com/contours/

For most hunting style rifles I prefer the 3b contour from Bartlein. I've also used the 4 on a couple of occasions but the 3b is preferable.

Most weight loss solutions end up being expensive, such as your denial of carbon fiber barrels. Carbon fiber in stocks will cost more as will Titanium anything as far as accessories go.

You can always opt for some fluting to lose a few ounces but that can be insignificant based on the total weight. Generally fluting gets rid of about 6 ounces on a 3 or 3b contour. It also adds about $125 to the cost of the barrel.

Aluminum rings and bases or combination rings can shave off a couple of ounces. Talley one-piece come to mind, these are light and strong. Aluminum bottom metal save a little also.

Enjoy your search!

Do you guys think fluting a 3B would make it less stiff or less accurate

Fluting a Bartlein barrel has never made it less stiff or less accurate and I use a ton of their barrels. The harmonics will be different from your Varmint barrel but testing will show you what bullets and loads are best.

I'd say much over .700" at the muzzle will be kinda heavy. You didn't ask but why are you moving away from the 35 Whelan? Hell of a hammer there. The 260 and 6.5 creedmore are really similar. Why not rebarrel one of those to 284 win or rechamber to 6.5x284?

A 260, 284, and 35 whelan would cover quite a few bases.

I have a 28 Nosler for my hammer rifle. Just wanting a lighter weight hunting rifle that shoots .5 or better

That depends on the length of the bullet you choose to shoot and the velocity of the load you work up.

180 grain Berger:

If you don't hunt in zero weather, a 1:9" twist will work. But if it gets cold when and where you hunt a 1:8.5" will do the trick. Shorter/lighter bullets will need less twist. Higher elevations need less twist. Use the Berger Calculator for what-ifs.

Enjoy!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.