how to build HBAR 7mm mag for target?

thebigunit

love my 260 but wanting more, so looks like 7mm mag due to availability of brass and the bullet SD/BC. not finding any heavy barrel used guns in this caliber anywhere. searched web and didn't see any hbar's for sale either. would prefer threading for a brake as well.

obviously, if I could find the right gun at right price, that would be my preferred route. however, if I can build what I want at the right price and learn a little along the way, I could go that route. just not looking to drop 2k+ on a rifle. I can do any stock work and know rem 700's have many drop-in customs as well. would it be best to buy a 700 action and get it rebarreled? not sure about the bolt in this regard. would it have to be from another 7mm mag?

my local gun shop doesn't have anything available in what i'm wanting and the smith is almost 3 months behind. leaving the doors open to suggestions....

thanks for any suggestions/help. look forward to any responses:)

I bought an older stainless BDL for $400 to use as a donor and sent it off to Pac-nor for a rebarrel. I had them put a 28" fluted stainless #6 select match barrel on it. It's a 5 groove tube with a 1x9 twist. I sent them a dummy round with a 168 Berger seated with top of the boat tail seated just below the neck junction in the case and I had them throat the chamber to where the bullet touches the lands.

I shoot the 180s with 70 grains of Retumbo at 3060 fps, and 69.0 grains of H1000 at 2980 fps. Both loads are sub 1/2 MOA from a bipod. The round fits and functions as it should, it's just throated longer.

I bedded the rifle into a manner's MCS-T, installed a Muscle brake, and added a Jewell trigger. When it was all said and done, I put about $1700 using all high end parts. I'm sure if I went without fluting and bedded it into a Bell and Carlson and used a Rifle Basix or Timney trigger I could have easily shaved $400 off the total price

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.