HOW to BUILD an INEXPENSIVE SS

elkaholic

Some of you guys may have already seen this but several people have asked me how to put together a good shooting long range rifle without breaking the bank. I thought I would put up this suggestion so it could be found by many in ONE place.
This rifle was built for just about $2200 total and I have shot .4-.5 moa groups at 1100 yards.
I started by purchasing a brand new Model 16 Savage in 300 WSM. This works very well for the SS cartridge length and has a DBM already. I sold everything but the action and recaptured about $150. It comes as a pkg. with a 3x9 Nikon BDC scope which is worth a couple hundred, but I kept it for an old '06. I purchased a Boyds thumbhole feather weight, a #4 Krieger 5r 9 twist barrel, and mounted a 6.5-20 zeiss on a 20 moa rail.
The rifle was chambered in 7SS by "bigngreen" (this forum) He pillar bedded the Boyds stock and it was ready to go. The savage comes with the accutrigger, so you don't have to invest extra cash there either.
This rifle shoots .2's at 100 yards with the 180 Bergers and I stated above, holds 1/2 moa or even better some days at 1100 yards. This rifle can be chambered in ANY of the SS cartridges from 6.5 to .338 (hint hint) and can easily be a with barrel for all the above. Here is a pic.......Rich
7SS Savage.jpg

Very nice, Rich! Great looking rig and sounds like quite the shooter! The 338 SS is VERY tempting - although I'm just as intrigued by your 300 Sherman and possibly the big brother, 338 Sherman! I'm still trying to figure out how to talk my wife into letting me build another rifle haha. As soon as I do, I'll have another Sherman chambering in the works.

Very nice, Rich! Great looking rig and sounds like quite the shooter! The 338 SS is VERY tempting - although I'm just as intrigued by your 300 Sherman and possibly the big brother, 338 Sherman! I'm still trying to figure out how to talk my wife into letting me build another rifle haha. As soon as I do, I'll have another Sherman chambering in the works.

Build one of these, get a barrel wrench and for less than $500, you have another SS each time you want one. The mag fits all of them and there are no other mods needed. You could even get the 7MM dies, bush them down and load 270 and 6.5 without even buying more dies:D You can also neck the brass up or down and even use the same brass if you wanted to. I like to keep things simple. Do not discount the Boyds stock for the price either. It is a very nice shooting set up and looks good too......Rich

Ok, I gotta ask...where do I get a barrel chambered? Or can I order a prefit barrel for a savage from someone in a 338 sherman

Ok, I gotta ask...where do I get a barrel chambered? Or can I order a prefit barrel for a savage from someone in a 338 sherman

I can recommend a smith or you you can have it built by the smith of your choice. I just send the reamer wherever you want it. PM me if you want more info.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts