6.5 SS Build

I'm a novice at this, so I hope that's sarcasm. I'd think I'll need a new barrel before I need more powder. (?)

But I may use that H1000 for more than one rifle.

No sarcasm, you have enough powder for about half of those bullets.

Actually, H1000 is a very good powder for the 6.5ss! I shot 61.5 grains behind the 143ELDX at about 3170' and shot some zero's with it. That was with Norma brass so you may need about .3 grains more for the Sherman brass, depending on your rifle? I shot RL26 with the same bullet with 60 grains at 3207' which was also a good load. Some barrels will only shoot around 58.5-59 grains of RL26 for the same pressure and near the same velocity. Start low and work up as always.

Actually, H1000 is a very good powder for the 6.5ss! I shot 61.5 grains behind the 143ELDX at about 3170' and shot some zero's with it. That was with Norma brass so you may need about .3 grains more for the Sherman brass, depending on your rifle? I shot RL26 with the same bullet with 60 grains at 3207' which was also a good load. Some barrels will only shoot around 58.5-59 grains of RL26 for the same pressure and near the same velocity. Start low and work up as always.
What I have here is the Norma brass stamped NORMA 7mm Rem SAUM.
But I'm planning to order some of your Sherman brass with the correct headstamp.
. . . So you're saying I'll have to keep them separate and use slightly different loads for each?

What I have here is the Norma brass stamped NORMA 7mm Rem SAUM.
But I'm planning to order some of your Sherman brass with the correct headstamp.
. . . So you're saying I'll have to keep them separate and use slightly different loads for each?
Yes. The Sherman brass has exactly 1 grain more h20 capacity than Norma. It will take about .3-.4 grains to pressure up equally in the Sherman, but you will get it back in spades with the added volume plus the toughness!

Anyway, H1000 is plentiful around here. I can get more.
Reloader powders are in every store that sells reloading components, but they don't all have all the different ones. I'm not sure I've specifically looked for RL26. I have some RL22 (not for the SS, but for something else). I see that and RL19 all the time. Other numbers are hit and miss, see one here, another one over there.

Anyway, H1000 is plentiful around here. I can get more.
Reloader powders are in every store that sells reloading components, but they don't all have all the different ones. I'm not sure I've specifically looked for RL26. I have some RL22 (not for the SS, but for something else). I see that and RL19 all the time. Other numbers are hit and miss, see one here, another one over there.
I don't think you will be disappointed with H1000 and it has the best temp stability.

I'm a novice at this, so I hope that's sarcasm. I'd think I'll need a new barrel before I need more powder. (?)

But I may use that H1000 for more than one rifle.
If you like the H1000, it is best to buy an 8 pounder. That will keep your loads consistent over the long run and save a little $$ to boot!

If you like the H1000, it is best to buy an 8 pounder. That will keep your loads consistent over the long run and save a little $$ to boot!
I've only seen the 8-lb in pictures on the internet. Don't recall ever seeing one in a store. I could probably have a store order it for me.

Not as cost effective but you could buy the 1lbs and nix them together well and then re-bottle. I had done this before in a pinch when the deal was super good on some 1;b cans in a going out of business sale.

IMG_20180818_111639831~2.jpg

I am using H1000 under the 150 SMK.
ADG brass
CCI BR2
58.5gr H1000
150 SMK
3114fps

Shot this at 200 last weekend with the combo.

Whoa, sorry for the huge pics. I was posting from my phone at the gunsmith's shop.
Anyway, I brought her home.
Gorgeous!
I was worried that the barrel would be too light, whippy. It's not. The balance is nice.
I was worried that the light tan color would be too light and that maybe I should have gotten medium tan. No problem. I like the way it came out.
McMillan stock is 40% light tan, 35% olive, and 25% black, for those who like the specs.

Still need to Cerakote the metal. It's going to be Graphite Black.

backfromsmith.jpg

I like it. How about a picture looking at the top of the barrel and the forend flats.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.