6.5 SS Build

Defiance Deviant Hunter finished, paid for, shipped :)

Good news on your action! I have a #3 fluted Brux on my new super light 270SS built on a Lone Peak TI action. The field ready rifle weighs in right at 7 lbs. It has a 21" barrel.....Rich

I knew starting out that this would be a lengthy process. I can't afford to buy everything at once, so I'm getting a piece here and a piece there. That action was the most expensive piece, I hope. I need to take my barrel to the smith so he can start putting it together. I'll be contacting elkaholic about that reamer soon. :D

Good news on your action! I have a #3 fluted Brux on my new super light 270SS built on a Lone Peak TI action. The field ready rifle weighs in right at 7 lbs. It has a 21" barrel.....Rich
My barrel's going to be 24" or maybe 24.5" I'm fascinated by your super light project, but that's really not what I'm going for here. Mine will be much lighter than most "long-range" rifles, but more of a medium-light is what I had in mind. I still worry a little that I may wish I'd gotten a slightly heavier barrel. #3 unfluted or #4 fluted was the original plan. The #3 fluted was kind of a last-minute wild hare decision.

I knew starting out that this would be a lengthy process. I can't afford to buy everything at once, so I'm getting a piece here and a piece there. That action was the most expensive piece, I hope. I need to take my barrel to the smith so he can start putting it together. I'll be contacting elkaholic about that reamer soon. :D

My barrel's going to be 24" or maybe 24.5" I'm fascinated by your super light project, but that's really not what I'm going for here. Mine will be much lighter than most "long-range" rifles, but more of a medium-light is what I had in mind. I still worry a little that I may wish I'd gotten a slightly heavier barrel. #3 unfluted or #4 fluted was the original plan. The #3 fluted was kind of a last-minute wild hare decision.

I think that your barrel will be great! Normally I would build something closer to what you are doing but all my rifles are on the heavy side and I decided to go completely the other way. I hope it doesn't kick like a mule:D.....Rich

Dropped the barrel off at the smith today and got to fondle the Defiance action, which I'd never seen in person.

Attachments

• 0729161244~2.jpg
    0729161244~2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 0729161244a~2.jpg
    0729161244a~2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 0729161244b~2.jpg
    0729161244b~2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 0729161244c~2.jpg
    0729161244c~2.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 260
That's a slick lookin barreled action. I'm getting the itch. Just had a 270 Sherman built over the spring and drew some blood with it this fall. Seriously considering a ss build on the light side in the next year for my wife. It would be braked though. She's not very fond of recoil. I'm just getting her into hunting these last couple years and she shot her second deer a little over a week ago. Seems like she's got the bug finally.

McMillan Remington Sporter stock ordered.
In one of the McSwirly patterns: 40% light tan, 35% olive, 25% black.
Standard fill weight, regular Decelerator recoil pad.

Still slowly creeping forward with this project. I ordered McMillan's bottom metal along with the stock. Still need a trigger, and the reloading dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.