New 6.5 SST build

Eat Rice

Been waiting a while to start this thread. Finally got all my parts in and have to time to mess with it. My first "custom" (i guess all custom parts but finished by me). Ive been drooling over some of these shermans for quite some time and wanted to build one. Well lo and behold in april I hurt myself jumping on a trampoline with my son, tearing my patella tendon. That lead to lots of time on the couch and well that lead to ordering parts. I wanted light and low recoil with magnum performance and good feeding. Primary focus of this rifle will be deer/pigs in louisiana. Our deer can be upwards of 250 lbs in our area. My plan is to use the 131 hammer hunters or 156 bergers also have some 140 hybrids and 150 smks.
Specs:
Bighorn origin
Proof 24" 1:7.5 twist 6.5 sst prefit chambered by straight jacket armory.
Area 419 hellfire
Stockys CFLR m50 in midnight forest
Bix and andy tacsport pro
Hawkins precision m5 dbm
Hawkins 34mm low ring
Nightforce 5-25 actar f1 moar

The final assembly and bedding will be done by myself this evening. With brownells acra glass gel

Attachments

• 719D6624-A382-4CE1-B7C0-FFF32D93778A.jpeg
    719D6624-A382-4CE1-B7C0-FFF32D93778A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
Should be a great gun once you get it together and a load developed. Good luck and have fun.

I too am bit by the Sherman bug. I have been wanting something in .338 and have settled on the Sherman 338 max. Now I need to gather parts as you did. I have trouble picking the "right" parts for the build. Looks like you have it all planned out. Be sure and post pictures and performance when you get it built.

Got her bedded and scope mounted yesterday today. Weighed in at 10 lbs 5 oz
Been waiting a while to start this thread. Finally got all my parts in and have to time to mess with it. My first "custom" (i guess all custom parts but finished by me). Ive been drooling over some of these shermans for quite some time and wanted to build one. Well lo and behold in april I hurt myself jumping on a trampoline with my son, tearing my patella tendon. That lead to lots of time on the couch and well that lead to ordering parts. I wanted light and low recoil with magnum performance and good feeding. Primary focus of this rifle will be deer/pigs in louisiana. Our deer can be upwards of 250 lbs in our area. My plan is to use the 131 hammer hunters or 156 bergers also have some 140 hybrids and 150 smks.
Specs:
Bighorn origin
Proof 24" 1:7.5 twist 6.5 sst prefit chambered by straight jacket armory.
Area 419 hellfire
Stockys CFLR m50 in midnight forest
Bix and andy tacsport pro
Hawkins precision m5 dbm
Hawkins 34mm low ring
Nightforce 5-25 actar f1 moar

The final assembly and bedding will be done by myself this evening. With brownells acra glass gel

Well i ended up being able to finally shoot and break it in today with 8 rounds of 150 sierra mk between 54-57.5 of h1000. Rounds 55.5-57 went into a 1" group and zero pressure. Which I thought wasnt bad considering it was rounds 5-7 through the rifle. Will be working with n565 and 156 bergers very soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.