My Tikka 6.5 SS Build

jb1023

So, I have seen others that have created new threads to keep track of and discuss their new builds. This is my such thread. As I first time "wildcatter", can I call myself that when I am building off of a cartridge that has been around for 3-4 yrs and so many others, starting with Rich and Rhian, have published vast amounts of data on? I want to document my travels from the build to case forming and load development.

As stated, this will start as a build thread and go from there. I have decided on the following, some of which I have already bought and others I am still saving for. I have decided on the 6.5 SS, this after a lot of research and back and forth with both myself and others.

I bought a Tikka T3 7RM to use as the donor. I picked it up off of Gunbroker for $515 including shipping and FFL fees. It should be delivered to my FFL on Wednesday. Another member here is using the same T3 7RM and we discussed a bit of modification to the mag to allow better feeding and then this should work great.

I have not spoken with him since I changed over to the 6.5 SS but I am hoping to have Mark Chanlynn mount one of his barrels onto my Tikka. I spoke with him about my original build, a 6.5x55 I am hoping he will be ok with this. I know he did a Sherman for another member so I don't think it will be an issue. I am planning on 24-26" barrel with about a .775-.800" muzzle diameter, have not completely decided yet. I like the 24" and "thinner" muzzle for its portability but then I am just a paper puncher so does it really matter?

The stock is going to be a B&C. They are heavy but I have one on my Howa 308 and love it so I am going to stick with them. Plus, they are more affordable than some of the others at $271.

I already bought my scope from Liberty Optics. I went with a Vortex HS-T 6-24x50. I put it on my Howa for the time being and it is great. That per somebody whose previous Vortex Diamondback was the best glass they had any exposure to previously anyway.

Base – A 20 MOA base of TBD brand

Rings – I put Vortex 6 screw rings on my Howa and they seem pretty stout so I will likely put the same thing on the Tikka.

I have ordered, but not yet received, the break I bought from muzzlebreaksandmore.com. I went with the Lil Beast and will ask Mark to turn it down to match the muzzle. $72 shipped and it seems to have good reviews but we shall see.

Bipod – I have a 6-9" on my Howa but I don't think it is quite tall enough so for this one I am going to go with a Harris 9-13"

Cheek Riser – I am going to try my hand at making my own adjustable kydex riser.

This is a learning process so I am open to your thoughts/suggestions/questions.

.....I am planning on 24-26" barrel with about a .775-.800" muzzle diameter, have not completely decided yet. I like the 24" and "thinner" muzzle for its portability but then I am just a paper puncher so does it really matter?

Do you have a finished weight in mind?

With the tikka action, vortex scope, 20moa base and rings, I would think to hit your 9-10lb range a Bartlien 3B fluted would be the perfect match for a barrel, it will end at .700" @ 26". Another option is anyone elses #4 unfluted ending at .670" @ 26"

If that is the case then I will sacrifice some velocity and move my target weight to 11+ lbs. PRS comp is kind of intriguing to me so I want something that can handle some amount of "rapid fire" without throwing shots everywhere. Using the Lilja custom contour calc it looks like a .775" @25" would come in about #4.07. About the same as a Bartlein 3B at 26".

If I am way off base here with the PRS please let me know. I have only watched vids of them. I plan to visit some this spring and actually see how they work. Maybe this build won't be right for this and then my next rifle will be geared in this direction from the start.

The donor has arrived. This is my new Tikka T3 as it arrived in its factory plastic stock and 7RM barrel. Still waiting on the break to show up, it has been sitting at the post office for 3 days according to the tracking website. Next up is to call Mark.

Attachments

• New Tikka_cleaned.jpg
    New Tikka_cleaned.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 166
For PRS you gonna need magazines. Centerfeed is best with the short fat cases. You may want to get a brass catcher that attaches to the gun because you can't go back and collect your brass after at most ranges. For examples
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EB5OU0Q/?tag=lrhmag19-20
CDI Precision Gunworks | DBM | Best Aftermarket Gun Parts | Best DBM Parts | Aftermarket Gun Gear

I have the AR version of that brass catcher. I will add it to my wish list.

I emailed CDI about their Tikka mags. Jeff, I presume the owner, emailed me back the same day. Not sure he completely understood my issue though so I will respond with a bit more detail. $350-400 for bm and 2 mags kinda stings a bit. I will look into this and other options once I have the build complete and some brass in hand to play with. I think your right though. If I use this rifle for this type of comp I will need more than a 2 rd mag, what this rifle has now I'm told with this fat case.

Dropped off the Tikka and SAUM FL die with Mark yesterday. Wow, that is a shop. Still, don't have the break. According to USPS it arrived in the Colorado Springs hub on 12/26 for delivery on 12/27. And there it still sits. I have called, I have gone into the hub, I have talked to my driver. Nobody knows where it is. I hope it was sent insured but have not heard back from the seller/maker yet. I wanted the gun with Mark when the reamer and dies arrive so that he can turn them around and get them right back to Rich. B&C M40 stock was also ordered but that is a 2-4 week wait.

Dropped off the Tikka and SAUM FL die with Mark yesterday. Wow, that is a shop. Still, don't have the break. According to USPS it arrived in the Colorado Springs hub on 12/26 for delivery on 12/27. And there it still sits. I have called, I have gone into the hub, I have talked to my driver. Nobody knows where it is. I hope it was sent insured but have not heard back from the seller/maker yet. I wanted the gun with Mark when the reamer and dies arrive so that he can turn them around and get them right back to Rich. B&C M40 stock was also ordered but that is a 2-4 week wait.

Dies, reamer, brass and bullet are in the mail:D

The 6.5 SS is a great round. I have the 6.5 Sherman. It would not be my first choice for a PRS rifle. Most of those guys are shooting 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor or 6MM cartridges that don,t burn near that amount of powder. Check out the PRS website.

Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.