Easy 6.5 ss or sst build

wapitiaddict

I've been looking at this cartridge. What would be an easy rifle to rebarrel or rechamber to this round? I basically just want to buy a good "off the shelf" rifle and then rebarrel. Would basically any 270 wsm or 300 wsm work?

I've been looking at this cartridge. What would be an easy rifle to rebarrel or rechamber to this round? I basically just want to buy a good "off the shelf" rifle and then rebarrel. Would basically any 270 wsm or 300 wsm work?
yes, I bought a Savage 16 in 300WSM and parted it out. I put a light trigger spring in the accutrigger and added a Boyds laminated thumbhole hunter stock. It shoots great and didnt break the bank.

yes, I bought a Savage 16 in 300WSM and parted it out. I put a light trigger spring in the accutrigger and added a Boyds laminated thumbhole hunter stock. It shoots great and didnt break the bank.
The Savage DBM works well too. Especially the metal one.

Thanks! Good to know. I should have mentioned that this will be a mountain hunting rig.

Buy an used Kimber Montana 8400 WSM or Kimber Mountain Ascent 8400 WSM donor and #2 contour barrel of your choice and have the action trued & squared and bedded, trigger adjusted to your liking ( I use 2.5lbs) and chambered in your desired cartridge,

Great thing about the Kimber Montana rifles is they are an all SS action, have an excellent adjustable trigger and have CF stock that's easily altered, ie- palm swell, high comb, cheekpiece.

I've had many rifles built on the Montana 84M, 84L and 8400 actions, they are lightweight and always accurate,
84M (SA) 6.5CM, 7mm-08, 6.5-284
84L (LA) 6.5-284, 280AI
8400 (WSM) 6.5 PRC 3 of them
8400 (LA) 300 PRC 2 of them
Hopefully I can use one of the Sherman Cartridges for a build in the near future.

I just bought a Savage 116 in 270 wsm for this build. Got a great deal on GunBroker. Any gunsmiths or barrel makers out there that know the Sherman cartridges and can do a "prefit" barrel?

Buy an used Kimber Montana 8400 WSM or Kimber Mountain Ascent 8400 WSM donor and #2 contour barrel of your choice and have the action trued & squared and bedded, trigger adjusted to your liking ( I use 2.5lbs) and chambered in your desired cartridge,

Great thing about the Kimber Montana rifles is they are an all SS action, have an excellent adjustable trigger and have CF stock that's easily altered, ie- palm swell, high comb, cheekpiece.

I've had many rifles built on the Montana 84M, 84L and 8400 actions, they are lightweight and always accurate,
84M (SA) 6.5CM, 7mm-08, 6.5-284
84L (LA) 6.5-284, 280AI
8400 (WSM) 6.5 PRC 3 of them
8400 (LA) 300 PRC 2 of them
Hopefully I can use one of the Sherman Cartridges for a build in the near future.
How did the 6.5-284 function in the 84m? Did the 140gr bullets fit well in the magazine? I have one that if it doesn't sell I will build off of.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.