Trigger AR polish or any improvement

I have installed the JP light trigger springs on mine and it has taken it from 6.5lbs to right at 3.5lbs. This made a world of difference, however I have just ordered the grip bolt from Joe Bob's to see if it will take up the extra travel. For $30 I couldn't resist giving it a try.

I have installed the JP light trigger springs on mine and it has taken it from 6.5lbs to right at 3.5lbs. This made a world of difference, however I have just ordered the grip bolt from Joe Bob's to see if it will take up the extra travel. For $30 I couldn't resist giving it a try.

A $.30 set screw and 1/4" shorter bolt to replace the original pistol grip bolt will do the same for under $2.00 . I went this route before I started buying high dollar after market triggers it does help a great deal over mil spec. But the fix of pushing up on the trigger from a set screw or Joe Bob's does remove a margin of safety that unless the gun is used exclusively for benchrest shooting I felt I needed a safer fix for the horriable mil spec trigger. I think those ALG triggers are $65 and the Ruger Elites 2 stage I've seen as low as $89

Just ordered a few of these to try out...

https://dsgarms.com/ra-140-sst

If you have an account with DSG, they're on sale for $95 right now... It shows $122, but if you log in to your account, it shows them at $95... They seem to be so popular that they're on backorder everywhere, including Rise's website. I figured for less than a C-note each, I couldn't go wrong, since I was still running mil-specs in my lowers. Anything is better than a 7-8 lbs. trigger with a spongy break and tons of creep.

They should be in after Christmas. I'll post up my findings. Everything I've read said they can't be beat for the money. A few even said that as far as quality and feel goes, they are on-par with their $300 Geissele triggers... So, I'm anxious to try them.

Don't believe that there even close to Geissele triggers. The poundage is way different than the Geissele SSAE ...

Don't believe that there even close to Geissele triggers. The poundage is way different than the Geissele SSAE ...

No, they're actually lighter than most Geissele triggers, and exactly the same as the SSA-E in poundage @ 3.5 lbs.

I'm all for paying for quality, if it's worth the money...But if I can get 95% of the way there with something that costs 1/3 of the price, I'm going to take the cheaper option.

I've shot several Geissele triggers, but don't own one myself. So I can't do a side-by-side, but I can give initial impressions of how I feel it compares to one. Which I plan to do. If they end up being junk, I'll tell you they were junk. If they end up being nearly on-par with a Geissele...I'm going to tell you. I believe in giving honest and fair reviews, that way anyone else who might be interested knows what to expect before they buy.

Here's a list of total pull-weights according to Geissele's website..

SSA - 4.5 lbs.
SSA-E - 3.5 lbs.
HS NM Match Rifle - 1.8-3.4 lbs. (adjustable)
HS NM Service Rifle - 3.7-6.5 lbs. (adjustable)
HS NM DMR - 2.8-5.1 lbs. (adjustable)
S3G - 4.0 lbs.
SD Combat - 4.5 lbs.
SD Enhanced - 3.5 lbs.
SD-3G - 4.0 lbs.
Super ACR - 4.5 lbs.
Supe Tricon - 4.5 lbs.

Just got my order from DSG this afternoon, and got them installed. Here's my initial impressions.

The Rise RA-140 SST triggers are a HUGE upgrade over the CMMG milspec trigger that was in my Spikes lower. That thing was heavy with tons of creep, and had a very spongy break. It needs some serious polishing and some lighter springs if it ever gets used again. For now it's in a labeled ziplock bag and tossed into the random parts bin as a spare.

As for the LWRC rifle, the Rise trigger is not quite AS big an upgrade over the stock LWRC trigger (compared to the CMMG), but the differences are still VERY noticeable. The reason being, the factory LWRC trigger is a very nice polished-up 5.5 lb. milspec trigger with a fairly short reset (for a milspec). But it is still a milspec, therefore it still has some creep, the break isn't as clean, and the pull is a bit heavy at around 5.5 lbs. when compared to the Rise trigger, which has 3.5 lbs. of pull, with virtually no creep, a fairly crisp break, and a very short reset.

Final conclusions and personal opinions...

Even at a retail of $122...The 3.5 lb. single-stage Rise RA-140 SST triggers are a very good upgrade over a stock milspec trigger in an AR. When shooting, it is very apparent you are not pulling a milspec trigger. And in comparison with other aftermarket triggers I've shot before, they feel just as nice, even as nice as some others that cost a lot more. When I buy some more lowers, they will be getting Rise triggers, as well.

Here's a few updated pics I took today, after installing my new Rise triggers and KNS pins...

BF33AC14-8C2B-4751-8F59-A104CCC9E851_zpsj1hfcgvf.jpg

C72D33A7-0B13-4406-AF7A-55BADAC0743E_zpslofjamd9.jpg

Good looking rifles Mudrunner!

Thanks man! I built the .300 BLK in 2015, and bought the LWRC new back in 2009.

Those LWRC rifles are well worth the money. Mine is a tack-driver, even with cheap steel-cased stuff. The EOTech that's on the .300 BLK was originally bought new with the LWRC in 09, and I love those holo sights. I'm thinking about buying another one for the .300 BLK and putting that one back on the LWRC where it belongs. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.