AR 10 Trigger

snipes

Looking to possibly switch the trigger in my dpms ar 10 with a rock river arms nm 2 stage, they told me that they will work w/ either their 223 or 308s but them didn't know about other brands, any one use one and did it fit w/ o mods in a different brand? i know timney has 2 models one for 223 and one for 308 thanks in advance

The DPMS lr-308 is designed to be compatible with mil-spec AR-15 triggers. That allows many choices of aftermarket triggers. The factory trigger shipped with LR-308's is a standard mil-spec ar-15 trigger and not a very smooth one. I've put Jewell AR-15 triggers in most of my LR-( ) series rifles. . They and have adjustable first and second stage pull weight, adjustable sear engagement, and adjustable overtravel. They do not improve lock time. Geissele match triggers aren't quite as adjustable but they have significantly faster lock time. Those are the only triggers I have personal experience with in the LR-() , but most AR-15 triggers should fit.
I don't have experience with other AR-10 clones. A DPMS LR-308 is not an AR-10. I believe AR-10 is a trademark of Armalite. There are few parts in a DPMS LR-308 which are interchangeable with an AR-10. DPMS certainly offers the widest range of chamberings. I have DPMS LR-( )s in 243 Win, 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 308 Win, 300 SAUM, and 338 Federal.

Last edited:
The triggers are standardized, you should have no problem changing them. In my experience, all of the AR/LAR rifle triggers are completely interchangable.

I recently did a trigger job on a friends stock trigger in hia LR .308

His is a Tactical Machine, but is a DPMS pattern. The ARmalite has a different shape at the rear where the upper and lower meet, and a different thead pattern on the barrel and freefloat tube. There may also be some slightly different machining tolorences with the bolt and carrier, but as far as I know, and I 've worked on a handful, the triggers are all the same.

Some brands are different for the 308 size calibers. The only real difference is the hammer weight. The only modification i have had to make upon switching any of these triggers is to grind a small amount off of the front of the hammer on the forward side in front of the hammer pin. This was done to allow the hammer to go all the way forward. It was binding up against the back of the magzine well. I assume it was needed due to slight difference of the hole location in the lower for the hammer pin. I got all of them like LouBoyd, except for the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 338 Federal.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.