Tried ladder again(need a little help)

Preda8or

Hey guys I tried the ladder test again. If you guys could give me your opinion it would help greatly (sorry no chrono data available)
scan0001.jpg

Would you mind giving a bit more details ?

What distance are you shooting ?

What caliber ? powder ? bullet ?

why are you jumping a half grain for each increment ?

Hopefully others will respond here as you provide more data.

Jim B.

OK 200 yards,Savage 10mlII smokeless powder muzzleloader,45 cal. 300gr hornady xtp bullets and H4198 powder. and the reason I went half a grain is because its a muzzleloader.

OKIE DOKIE THEN,

64,64.5 ,65,65.5 , and I'm not sure that half grain increments is necessary for bp or that it will show better whats going on .

Otherwise , good shooting !

Jim B.

never laddered a muzzle loader before... tough to tell from just the target, but if it were me, id load a few ( doh... you know... at the range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) at 65 and 65.5 and see how they grouped. Thinking of it as a sixty -70gr capacity rifle, I think the large steps in powder would hurt more than help. id still do it at .3gr were it I.

Only one way to find out... a few minutes at the loading benc... wait, nevermind...

Goofy front stuffers.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've got a win x-150. With 150gr. 777, it kicked like a mule, grouped more like a shotgun. Dropped it down to 100gr. triple seven powder with a 405powerbelt HP, and shot a 1.25" & .75" group @ 100yds with peep sight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...if that helps. Now if W.A. state law allowed a scoped muzzle loader.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I was just wondering what type of gun you are shooting? Also what powder are you using in this test?DonC

Savage 10mlII smokeless powder muzzleloader,45 cal. 300gr hornady xtp bullets and H4198 powder

I am going to assume that you were shooting 3 shots pause, 3 shots pause based on the groups that I see.

If I am correct, then i think that 64 1/2 thru 67 is pretty good since these are actually two separate shooting sessions, with different sight pictures, etc.

I'd like to see a 65 grain 5 shot group. And call all of the shots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

edge.

Good to see you here edge. I was going to post on the doug's board but didn't know if the fellows over there had ever tried this method because I have never seen it mentioned. By the way the shots were each timed 10 minute apart. No 3 shot groups

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.