Need a little help

Riflemanse

Hi

I just recently got my custom built rifle back from the smith and now im trying to find a long range load for it. The rifle has a 27" SS Krieger barrel on a Rem 700 action that is trued. Everything bedded in a McMillan A1-3 stock. The caliber is 300 Win Mag.

I use 220gr SMK, Norma brass, Federal 210 primers and Hodgdon H1000 powder.
The throut is cut for the 190gr SMK but since im out of them and the 220gr SMK is very much like the 190gr in shape I figure it cant be that much difference. I seet the bullet so there is no space between it and the lands.

Here are some targets, all shot prone from about 100 yards.

tbild11300wm.jpg

tbild2300wm.jpg

tbild3300wm.jpg

The first 4 targets are shot with 4 rounds on each. The 2 last with 3 rounds each.

I got good velocity with 77gr, 2869 fps. Next I will try with magnum primers, first CCI that I had since before and Ill also buy Federal and try them to. I have a little resistance after sizing the brass, when the expander goes out of the neck again, I have now borrowed some RCBS dies to see if it makes any difference. If that doesnt work Im not sure what to do.

Last edited:
Not sure if you're asking about the loads or the resistance when resizing. I looked in the Nosler #6 and it shows 75.5gn as max (and most accurate powder/load) for 220gn Partitions with H1000 with Fed 215 primers. Be careful loading hot and look for pressure signs as you go.
You should always feel a little resistance when pulling the expander button through the case neck. How much depends on the die (I would think specs for every die is determined by SAAMI Specs on that cartridge) and how much lube you've used inside the neck.
Keep tweaking that load. Don't forget about seating depth. JohnnyK.

Have you broken in the barrel yet? And I wonder why you're load testing from prone vs bench? I would also recommend trying different seating depths. Most folks seem to prefer seating just off the lands. Barnes TSX bullet's seem to do better with about a .05 jump. Some guys neck size only, but after a few firings with neck sizing only the brass will get sticky and you'll have to FL size. Neck sizing only allows the brass to be form fitted to the chamber, but at some point you'll have to do a FL size.

I'm going to get some custom dies and bullet seater made, which will allow me to FL size everytime. The custom dies will size to fit a particular chamber snugly and concentric with minimum flexing of brass leading to a greatly increased case life. And a good bullet seater gets the bullet trued up and concentric also.

Good shooting,

Mark

Hi

I shoot prone because the wooden benches around here are to unstable.
I took the rifle apart to day and I found two things. The barrel touch the stock in two places. And the front bedding have had some air pockets that now have crushed, its only around the hole so it does bear the action even, but ill have it redone anyway.
No idea to try any loads untill this is fixed.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.