Toughest Long Range Hunting Optic?

What is the toughest long range rifle scope on the market? The one that can get the crap kicked out of it and never lose zero? The one that you would trust the hunt of a lifetime to? I know nothing is perfect, but if your life depended on this scope holding zero, what would it be?
Steiner Optics All the way. Specially if my life was on the line. US Optics would be 2nd. I have seen Grenades blow up by these two scopes and they not only hold zero but they still track good also. Not knocking Knight Force for I have used and Seen these in combat also. But if my life depended on it. Sorry Knight Force.

Sticking to what I have experience with, I would choose the fixed 10x or 12x SWFA.

6x isnt quite enough magnification, I have one on a ruger predator .308 for 400 and under and it works great.

I have a 16x on a .338L and a 20x on a .223 12FV. The 16x clarity is okay the 20x is meh. Does the job but I dont really like it.

I have a 12x on a 700 LR in .25-06 and it works great.

They hold up well. The 16x spent several summer/fall seasons bombing around on a four wheeler in the big horns. It's on its 2nd lapua barrel. Not real pretty any more but dials and holds zero.

The 6x has been used and abused. It's a general hunting/range rifle. Bounced around in the jeep, fallen off the range bench. It doesnt have a dedicated hard case so it goes in a soft case or loose in the jeep.

What is the toughest long range rifle scope on the market? The one that can get the crap kicked out of it and never lose zero? The one that you would trust the hunt of a lifetime to? I know nothing is perfect, but if your life depended on this scope holding zero, what would it be?
I have 1 leupold mark 5 7-35, 4 Nightforce atcars (3 5-25 and 1 7-35) 2 vortex gen II (1 3-18 and 1 4.5-27) and a sorvoski z 5 (3-18) The vortex is a boat anchor and I hate packing it but it has taken an absolute beating and has never lost a zero. If you can handle the weight it seems to be the most indestructible optic I have in my stable. I did have to send 1 Nightforce in for repairs and the locking turrets of the vortex are nice on the gen II if you pack in with horses or pack in with a backpack. I have a Small sample size but I hope it helps. (I would look for someone with vortex amg and get their feed back to save weight).

What constitutes the perimeters for a tough accurate scope in today's world? The measure frontline forces using a rifle daily surely has some measure of worth. It does to me.

I can't afford a very expensive scope either, but a friend recomended the NF SHV
And I couldnt be happier.
Getting ready to order another SHV. Nite Force has a military and law enforcement program for those of you that qualify.
Just e-mail them.

Went on a horseback elk hunt a few years back. Had my rifle in a scabbard on a pack horse. The horse stumbled on some hard scrabble and fell sending the rifle out of the scabbard, downhill in the air. It landed on the butt plate hard breaking the butt plate and cracking the stock. The scope was a Nikon Monarch. It had a ding on the forward bell. We immediately did a safety check on the rifle and chose a big boulder 125yds away to shoot at. The round hit the boulder right on a mossy patch that I was shooting at. Still was on zero. Now that Nikon is getting out of the scope business I will miss them. Still hunting with that scope today and not happy with my replacement stock.

If my life depended on it I would take the SWFA 10X HD anywhere at any time without hesitation

I agree with the SWFA fixed 10x42 if you want to have a long range capable scope that will survive anything short of actually smashing it with a hammer look no further.

Its $350 price also makes it the best budget oriented long range capable scope on the market.
They have excellent glass considering the price point, I would compare if favorably to the 800-1200 Vortex and Leupold optics and all of my SWFA scopes had repeatable turrets that accurately shot 10 mil boxes.

1. Elcan Spectre OS4x
2. US Optics 10x optics
3. SWFA HD 10x, Steiner Fixed mag, Valdada fixed mag, Leopold, or other fixed mag

I agree Nightforce is a great pick for variable magnification scopes but if you want ultra rugged go with a fixed mag with iron backups.

Nightforce. Own 2 ATACRs. Never an issue. Used one on the same Rifle out at Todd Hodnett's Accuracy 1st training while they were evaluating our bipod system (Protean Innovations Stability Bipod) on 3 different occasions over the course of a year and a half. That same scope is used on that classroom rifle every week by either a military or LE unit. Still worked great a year and a half later. Those units are tough on equipment. The two I bought are worth every penny!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.