Tough Choice On Powder Selection 6.5 Crreedmoor

mountaincarver

So, Ive been load testing my 6.5 creedmoor with 143 ELD-x. Found a great node with H4350 (42.6) and RL17 (41.6). These loads were selected by trial multiple times and have both repeated their good results. Looking at my Chrony data, both of these loads produce the same speed on average and have SDs under 10. The difference between the two loads is a point of impact difference of about 1.5 inches on the target. the difference is completely horizontal. Target distance is 200 yards. My question becomes, is there a logical answer to what powder to choose, or flip a coin? anybody have experience with this? If the answer has something to do with knowing the powders performance with changing temperature, I wouldn't know which one is better. thanks.

H4350 will be more temp stable I believe but I have had good luck with Reloader powders shooting just fine. I have had very good luck with Superformance powder in 6.5 creedmoor you might give it a try also

H4350 will be more temp stable I believe but I have had good luck with Reloader powders shooting just fine. I have had very good luck with Superformance powder in 6.5 creedmoor you might give it a try also

Thanks for the reply. hey, I actually did try a little superformance in it. I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but it seems like it liked about 43 grains. The only reason I stopped was because I felt it shot a lot slower velocity. I went to 45 grains and did not hit a good accuracy node again. maybe I should revisit though.

+1 for the 4350 it always worked well or me
It's also a top choice of bench rest shooters but so is re 17 so I would pick the one that you can stock up on

,So remember that lot variation CAN be very large, there is a real reason why the "drop 10%" warning when switching lots is there.
My first 8# of Superformance was slower than book data, my second was a wee faster, and this third is well slower. So start low and watch velocity to know where you are regarding Pressure, not "signs".
Temp stability with extruded powders is only such under design conditions. Dr. Denton Bramwell has done some very nice tests around this. As an example: Varget provides fine accuracy in the 223 with 55gr bullets. But is far more sensitive than H335. Considering Varget was designed around ball ammo in the 308, this isn't surprising. But the point is don't let " Extreme "claims alone sway you.

In the Creedmoor, we've Pressure Traced all of the powders mentioned when I was south in AZ in the winter. Superformance is stable. The catch with it, centers around what you want to accomplish.
4350 has a classic peaky burning curve. RL-17 is more progressive. Super is VERY progressive, but the curve shifts with Pressure. As you increase operating Pressure, the curve begins to peak like normal. The canister version of Superformance was designed around the 30-06, so again no real surprise it works well in the Creed.
I personally like it in the Creed, as I can take advantage of the curve, and give up a mere 50 fps, when only running 50,000 psi.
This gives me fine accuracy, and allows me to stretch my lots of powder.
Here are some examples of the burning curves, pressures, speed; all tested and fired from the same Ruger Predator.
Screenshot_2015-11-26-20-21-35_zps0ktikfds.png

Screenshot_2014-12-26-20-33-14_zpskz7cqnti.png

Screenshot_2014-12-26-14-36-09_zpsv6lwcels.png

Screenshot_2014-12-26-14-35-27_zpsvfj221vz.png

139 sceanar's around 43.4gr Superformance was getting me around 2675fps 26" barrel single digit SD

Another vote for 4350. I do not shoot a creedmore, but my main long range rig is a 260 Remington. I can tell you after trying many different powders I have narrowed down to H4350 to build all of my loads on for my 260. It gives me the best overall performance in regards to temp stability, velocity, and accuracy in my rifle. Bought as much as I could get my hands on and never looked back. That being said I do have all other accuracy loads in multiple powders written down to make sure I have a good load to shoot when a certain powder is unavailable.

Another vote for 4350. I do not shoot a creedmore, but my main long range rig is a 260 Remington. I can tell you after trying many different powders I have narrowed down to H4350 to build all of my loads on for my 260. It gives me the best overall performance in regards to temp stability, velocity, and accuracy in my rifle. Bought as much as I could get my hands on and never looked back. That being said I do have all other accuracy loads in multiple powders written down to make sure I have a good load to shoot when a certain powder is unavailable.

Tucker,

Curious...What is your barrel length on the 260?

JD

Tucker,

Curious...What is your barrel length on the 260?

JD

22 inch. I would like to rebarrel to a 26, or 28 eventually. I think H4831 would be great with the extra length. As of right now I do not have enough length to utilize the slower burn rate. With the 22 inch barrel and H4350 I can push the 123 grain bullets about 2950 fps, and the 140's at 2750 fps.

My Browning in the 6.5 CM likes the R17 and 123 gr. SST. I zeroed this in when I was in Oklahoma, temp. out there was about 70 degrees and moved back here to PA. took it to the range temp was about 40 degrees, same load and rifle and the point of impact did not change. So I think it's safe to say R17 powder is good for what little bit of shooting I do.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.